Arnav's Wrath (Part 2)

Madhumati thought to coax Khushi to do their bidding by reminding her about their "generosity" - this tactic never failed. She forgot that there is a first time for everything. Because this time, she wasn't addressing her niece but ASR's wife.

And Arnav was waiting for this opportunity to tell the Guptas exactly how he felt about them. He had curtailed his anger so far for the sake of his wife but now there was no holding back. Arnav had gathered that while Khushi had stood her ground, defending their baby's rights, she would still not openly voice her thoughts about the treatment the Guptas had doled out to her all these years. This responsibility fell on his shoulders and he was eager to fulfil it with the utmost passion.

Madhumati: Sankadevi, have you forgotten...

Arnav (with a smirk): Mrs. Mishra, let me save you the trouble of making a feeble attempt at manipulating my wife. You have displayed your expertise in this matter often enough with the same monotonous discourse; even I know how it will go. It will be something on the lines of how Khushi should appreciate the fact that you have provided her with the basic necessities of food and shelter. To tug on her emotional chord, you will bring up her Babuji and also shamelessly broach the topic of her late parents. And yeah, you will even throw in one or two "Hai Re Nandkishores" in the midst for good measure. Always the same rehashed speech - absolutely no creativity.

NK was so amused by Arnav's sarcasm that he had to disguise his laughter with a cough. He wished he had some munchies on hand to enjoy this show. His lingering affection towards Mami and Aakash, (after all they were related), hadn't let him wholeheartedly savour their takedown. He had no such qualms about the Gupta - for him, they were simply Khushi's relatives. And after Arnav's disclosure about their appalling deeds, NK couldn't help but chuckle at their misery. He wasn't ignorant to the seriousness of the situation; definitely not after hearing a change in Arnav's tone.

Arnav: You have unscrupulously employed emotional blackmail to make Khushi bend to your wishes and she has done so time and again. Why you felt entitled to make such demands in the first place is beyond me. The way I look at it, taking her in after her parent's death was your choice, she didn't ask for it, so extorting repayment for it is plain unethical. If Khushi wished to do something for you in return, it should have come from a place of love and gratitude, not insecurity or longing for acceptance.

Arnav paused on sensing Khushi move closer to him. He knew that this was Khushi subconsciously seeking strength from him as revisiting these memories were far from pleasant for her. Reassuring Khushi with his eyes and giving her the briefest of smiles, Arnav resumed the cold expression he had reserved for the rebuke of the Guptas.

Arnav: However, since my innocent wife deeply valued the "love and care" you have shown her all these years, I'll keep my personal feelings aside and indulge you and your thinking.  I'll even discount the times you have disavowed Khushi or failed to treat her as a true family member. We'll just discuss all that you consider as favours upon Khushi. However, before we come to that, let's glimpse at what she's done for your family.

Arnav: Since Babuji lost his sweet shop, she's single-handedly taken care of the household expenses, even after her marriage. Why Payal couldn't contribute to the expenses is beyond me. And talking of Payal, Khushi was the one who saved her from getting married into a greedy family who surely would have tortured her for more dowry. Instead of being thankful, you held her liable for Payal's misery. Carrying the guilt of the false accusation levied against her, she made it her mission to get Payal settled and went to get lengths for the same. If not for her, Payal and Aakash wouldn't be married. These acts should square any emotional or financial accounts. Even if you felt, she owed you anything, she definitely doesn't any longer.