The feud/The dream

Stefan walked into the palace courtyard, still wondering about the three girls he'd met earlier when an arrow flew by him and punctured a target a good distance away. 

"Tommy's out again," he chuckled as a little boy walked up to the prince. 

"Did you see that?" Tommy exclaimed. "Almost a bull's eye!"

"If you count me as a target," Stefan laughed.

"I just can't get it right," Tommy sighed. 

Stefan thought for a moment.

"I have to speak with father now," Stefan said. "What do you say I help you practice later?"

"Really?" Tommy's face lit up. "Thanks, Stefan!"

Stefan turned and walked towards the castle, finding his father, King Fredrick, in the throne room. 

"Did you find the maiden who saved our Katrina?" Fredrick asked Stefan. "I'd like to express my gratitude."

"I'm afraid not, father," Stefan replied grimly. "The guards and I searched the entire village."

"Could she be a spy for King Wilhelm?" Fredrick wondered. 

"If she were, then why would she and her friends risk their lives to protect Katrina?" Stefan asked. 

That's when a guard walked into the throne room. 

"Your Highness," he bowed to the royals. "There was no sign of King Wilhelm's horsemen."

Fredrick rose from his throne. 

"This cannot go unanswered! Tonight I'll lead my own raiding party! Be ready, Stefan."

"Of course," Stefan agreed. 

He turned to walk away, then stopped. 

"Father," he said. "When do you think this feud will end?"

"When King Wilhelm pays for all his deeds," Fredrick answered. 

"But..." Stefan began. 

"In a few days you'll turn eighteen, Stefan. One day you'll take over the kingdom and it may be up to you to defeat Wilhelm."

Stefan bowed and walked away, running into the three little princesses. 

"Stefan?" Katrina asked. 

"Yes?" Stefan looked down at his sisters.

"When are you going to see the lady with the pretty hair again?" Katrina asked. 

"I don't know," Stefan said. "Soon, I hope."

Rapunzel woke up to hear a voice. For some reason, she was alone. 

"Rapunzel! Rapunzel!" the voice said. Rapunzel peered out the window to see the man at the bottom of the tower. 

"Come down!" the man said. 

"I can't!" Rapunzel called back. 

"Then I'll come up," the man declared. 

"But how?" Rapunzel asked.

"Let down your hair!" the man called out. 

Rapunzel let down her long locks, allowing the man to climb into the tower. 

"You're even more beautiful than I remember," Stefan said. Rapunzel blushed a little. 

"How did you find me?" she asked, still sorta confused as to why she was alone, but those thoughts quickly disappeared as she stared at the handsome boy in front of her.

"I searched everywhere," Stefan said, but then the dream became a nightmare as a giant version of Gothel appeared, snatching up Rapunzel. 

"Let me go!" she protested, waking up in a cold sweat. She turned and saw the Equestria Girls sleeping around the tower. She picked up the brush and stared out into the stars. 

"Constant as the stars above, always know that you are loved."

She stared at the brush, gently setting it on the windowsill. 

"I will be free," she told herself. "I'll figure out something."

However, something happened as she went to bed that night, as the brush quivered and shook on the windowsill, transforming into two paintbrushes. One of them was crystal clear, with the other tinted scarlet. 

The next day, a cloaked woman strolled past the bakery. 

"Baker, is there going to be a celebration?" the woman asked. 

"Yeah, woman, the prince's birthday. Do you know how much baking that means?" 

The baker started ranting as Gothel pulled her cloak tighter, walking away from the baker.