𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐟𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧

You opened your eyes suddenly, lunging up into a sitting position. You looked around you - a hut made from dry palm leaves, wood and some sort of rope.

Oh no ... were you back in the Glade? No, no, no, no, no! This couldn't be happening again!

Your oncoming panic attack subsided as you took a more careful look around: this didn't have the personal touches Clint and Jeff had added - not the wind-chimes, not the clear crystals that had come up in the Box one day that made rainbows spiral across the room, and not the ribbons that danced in the wind.

This was somewhere else entirely. But you didn't know where.

And that frightened the shuck out of you.

You felt a sting of pain as you went to stand up, and you lifted the edge of a f/c tank top (trying desperately not to think about who'd changed you) to see a heavy set of bandages wrapped around your torso. Stained red.

You heave a deep breath, in and out, dropping the edge of the top.

I'm alive.

You slowly pushed yourself up, and found that the pain wasn't as bad as you'd thought. After a few unsteady steps, you began to form a far more steady rhythm of one foot in front of the other, and you could walk.

You pushed aside the fabric acting as a door, slowly drinking in the site of a beautiful beach shoreline that gave way to a deep blue sea. You hadn't seen anything like it, not that you could remember. The sea breeze whipped your hair around your face and you closed your eyes, drinking in the salty scent of the sea.

I remember the ocean. I remember the world.

You turned to your right, following what seemed to be a path. You saw almost hundreds of people, but you didn't recognise any of them.

Until a girl with short-cropped auburn hair moved to the side, and you saw a group of familiar people.

Harriet, Sonya and Aris.

Vince, Jorge, Brenda, Gally and Fry.

Minho, Thomas, and ...

"Newt?" you whispered, nearly imperceptibly, your lips trembling. He looked ... healthy, if that was possible.

"Newt!" you repeated, louder. He turned his head slowly, and his face spread into a massively wide smile.

You raced towards him, not caring what you were running over. He stood up quickly, also taking a few limping steps towards you. You took a leap as soon as you were close enough, landing securely in Newt's arms as he spun you around, laughter flying from your mouths and tears from your eyes.

Newt stopped spinning you and gently set you on the ground in front of him. You could see clearly the tear tracks on his face, and let loose another few sobs. You lunged forward, clasping your arms around his neck and kissing him fiercely. He kissed back with a matched passion, his arms pulling you as close to him as possible at the waist.

Even when you felt like you were running out of air, you didn't stop.

You didn't want to.

"I thought you were going to leave me," you sobbed, leaning against his chest as he squeezed you tighter, rubbing your back. "I thought you were going to Crank out."

"What did I promise you, Y/N?" Newt pressed his lips to your forehead. "I will always be there for you. I will always be right behind you, every step of the way."

"I love you so much," you kissed him again. "So, so much."

"I love you more, Y/N," Newt teased, hugging you tightly to his chest before taking a couple steps back. "But never scare me like that ever again, alright? Walking around getting yourself bloody shot..."

You couldn't help but laugh at his worried state. "I'm okay, Newt. Look."

You pulled up your shirt, and someone behind Newt interjected:

"As sweet as your reunion was, we don't need to see you undressing in front of each other."

You turned and pointedly glared at Minho as Newt turned an adorable shade of red. Quickly enough, your annoyance faded, and you walked up to him and hugged him as well.

"Thanks for everything, Minho," you mumbled into his chest. "For getting me back, for being my best friend-"

"Hey, I thought I was your best friend!" Thomas said in mock outrage. You moved from Minho, embracing the brunette boy.

"Aw, Tommy," you joked, poking at his arm. "You guys are all my best friends. I've just so happened to know Minho for a little longer."

You hug the others: Fry, Jorge, Brenda, Gally, Harriet, Aris, and Sonya, who turned out to be Newt's sister. You asked her nervously if she was okay with you dating her older brother, and she laughed, saying she thought you and Newt were 'relationship goals' and she'd be devastated if you broke up. You reassured her that you'd 'have to be half-shucked out your mind to break up with someone that attractive'.

You looked around, surveying the camp. "Wait ... where's Teresa?"

Everyone went still, and Thomas suddenly began to cry, breaking down and falling to his knees. You immediately sat next to him, putting an arm around his shoulders, Newt doing the same on the other side.

"S-she got me out of the building when I was sh-shot," Thomas forced out, burying his head in his hands. "And they got me onto the Berg. They couldn't get Teresa. The building c-collapsed and as she was falling into the fire I saw her look at me so h-helplessly. Like she thought I could save her ... but I c-couldn't!"

Thomas looked up at you with tearstained cheeks. "I know she did the wrong thing, but she saved my life so many times in that building. And she gave her l-life to get me out."

"I know," you let him cry on your shoulder. "I'm so sorry, Thomas. I wish she was here."

"We all do," Minho said quietly. "We all wish every shucking person that we lost was still here. But they died to get us here and ... we have to be grateful for that. Accept the sadness and move on, living our lives for them."

Everyone took a couple of minutes to think on that.

"That was some deep shit, Minho," Gally finally said, breaking the melancholic silence with laughter. "But true. And I think we should all do that."

"A promise," Newt said, putting his hand over yours and smiling. "A promise that we'll live for them."

People started putting their hands over yours and Newt's until all thirteen of you stood in a close huddle, hands in the middle.

"A promise," everyone repeated.

- - -

That night, as you sat by Newt's side on the sand, his arm wrapped around your shoulders as he played with your hair and your head rested comfortably on his shoulder, you realised how lucky you were to have come this far.

Despite being shot, tortured, having your memory wiped, attacked and heartbroken over and over, you were still alive.

Newt was still alive.

And some of your friends might not be, but you still knew they would always be by your side, even if you didn't know they were there.

And you were in a beautiful safe haven where no one would hurt you.

And for now, all of that, was enough.

thank you very much for reading this story !!
please check out my other works on both accounts !!