𝐟𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐬

"Catch me if you can, Y/N!" Newt teased, running away with an impish laugh.

You pelted down the white hallways after him, catching up easily. You tackled the blond boy to the ground, giggling as you went rolling over and over. You finally landed, a knee on his chest.

"I told you before, Newt," you leaned over him with a cocky smirk. "I'm faster than you. And all around better. The tests say so!"

Newt rolled his eyes, pushing you off him so you landed on the floor beside him with an "oof". "Those tests don't count!"

"WICKED says they count," you turned your head to talk to him properly, resting your head on one of your arms. "They say if we do well in them, we're gonna help the whole world."

"You'll change the world anyway, Y/N," Newt said seriously. "You are faster than the rest of us. Except Minho."

He grinned as you gave him a little shove that sent him sliding a foot away from you. You got up, sitting against the wall next to Newt, who moved to sit up. You pulled your knees up to your chest, resting your chin on your arms and your arms on your knees.

"And I think you're Doctor Paige's favourite."

"Do you really think so?" you asked, turning so your cheek resting on your arms and you could face Newt. The young boy grinned self-assuredly.

"Yeah. You, Tommy and Teresa."

You sighed. "Do you think all this will be worth it?"

"All what?" Newt frowned.

You glanced at the boy, and then reached for the bottom of your f/c jumper.

"Ew, are you taking your shirt off?" Newt made a face. "Gross."

You rolled your eyes and ripped the sweater off, revealing the mandatory black tank top you had to wear for physical training, marked with 'W.C.K.D.' in bold white letters. And all up and down your arms were fresh wounds, in ugly purples and reds, some hidden beneath bloodstained bandages.

"Are you okay?" Newt said quickly, worry in his young voice.

Tears rose to your eyes. "They're hurting me, Newt. They say it's for the greater good ... or something. But it hurts. A lot. And then they hook me up to some weird tube things. And take blood and blue stuff out of my body."

"Oh, shuck," Newt stared at the red marks and bandages. "Why are they doing it?"

"I don't know," you cried, turning and sobbing into Newt's shoulder. Even then, he was slightly taller than you. "I don't know."

"Hey, Y/N/N," Newt said carefully. "You know, it's gonna be okay, one day. One day, all those awful things they do to you are going to help you save the world." He stared into your eyes with innocent, youthful belief. "Because I have always believed you will, and I know you are capable of changing the world."

"Thanks, Newt"

You dried your tears and stood up with a shaky smile, also pulling the blonde boy to his feet. Then you gave a demon-worthy grin, and slapped his shoulder. "Tag! You're it!"

You laughed as he tore after you with an indignant cry, giving you a push that sent the both of you tumbling head over heels in a giggling mess until you were stopped at someone's feet. You both looked up, finding a blonde woman above you.

"Subjects A8 and A5," Dr. Paige said disapprovingly. "What are you doing?"

"Playing," you explained meekly, sitting up.