XX

*Thank you for 3k!! We're getting close towards the end now...but there's still another chapter after this one*

Home
A place where I can go
To take this off my shoulders
Someone take me home
-Bebe Rexha, Machine Gun Kelly, X Ambassadors-

-Y/N-

We entered the Fold.

Darkness fell across us. I couldn't see the boat anymore. I couldn't even see my hands in front of me. I was glad for the grip I had on Kaz. It anchored me in this vast emptiness. But as time passed on, my eyes slowly started to adjust.

I could see Alina up ahead, her back towards us and the audience. The Darkling stood beside her, pacing sometimes. Both were protected by Grisha guards. We heard a volcra growl above.

That was our sign to head down under.

One by one, we slipped through the opening in the deck, using the stairs to go below. I was the last one, so I closed the hatch on my way down. It wasn't a large space, but enough for us to stand comfortably.

"You should clean your guns, make sure there's no resistance when you shoot." Kaz suggested.

Jesper pulled out his revolvers. He started taking out the bullets and cleaning the barrel, grunting with effort. He glanced above as we heard another growl.

"This is a bad idea." Jesper sniffed.

"I think it's rather practical." Kaz countered.

"What? Why?" Jesper scoffed, pausing his work for a moment to look at Kaz.

"I don't see how we step off this boat without you pulling those guns." Kaz explained as Jesper let out a small chuckle. "So, cleaning them is a good idea."

"I don't mean this." Jesper pointed at his guns. "I mean this." He pointed above. As if on cue, another volcra growled. "We are in the worst place in the world, on a ship full of people who want us dead, surrounded by monsters who want us in their gullets." Jesper frantically ranted as clicked one of the revolvers back into place. "I should have brought Milo." He whimpered.

"Who's Milo?" Inej asked.

"The goat." Both Jesper and I spoke up.

"Thank you." Jesper looked at me.

"How many bullets do you have?" Kaz interrupted.

Jesper looked upward, twirling his revolvers back into their place. "Not enough."

I heard rumbling outside. It seemed oddly calm and still. Too silent. I started to pace around, trying to find any distractions.

"So...What's our play?" I finally asked Kaz who stood in the corner watching me.

"We wait." He simply said.

"For what?"

"For whatever the general has planned." He explained.

I stopped my pacing and walked closer to him. "You figured him out?" I asked.

"Not quite." Kaz adjusted the grip on his cane. "Consider the scenario: The Sun Summoner fled from his palace, now she's tied to the deck. We're sailing for a city where another Ravkan general hired Arken to kill her. And I saw his face as he boarded. I know that look. He's a man consumed with vengeance."

"See it enough in the mirror, do you?" Jesper spoke up behind me. I ignored him as Kaz gave him a look.

"So? What kind of revenge is he planning, exactly?" I continued.