What Adventures

The four children rushed around the living room, dancing to their fathers singing and their mother's piano playing. 

“Yes alright, alright! Little less noise, let’s settle down!” Mr. Darling reigned in his children when they got too rowdy. 

“Maggie's turn!” John exclaimed as the three sat on the couch again.

“Yes Maggie must tell a story!” Michael squeaked.

“Oh yes!” Wendy exclaimed.

“Jecko! Who carved his name on the governor at Gowa!” John requested.

“Noodler! With his hands on backwards!” Michael tried to demonstrate, making Maggie laugh.

“Heavens!” Aunt Millicent chuckled lightly.

“Hook!” Wendy giggled.

“Hook?” Aunt Millicent screeched with shock.

“Hook! Who’s eyes turn red, as he cuts you!” John said, trying to sound scary.

“Bless my soul!” Aunt Millicent cried out, trying not to be too rude “Aren’t children educated nowadays?” she chuckled.

“I’m afraid I’m not at all Aunt, but I do know a thing or two about pirates!” Maggie smiled, making Aunt Millicent’s eyes widen “My unfulfilled ambition, is to have Wendy write a great novel, in three parts! About my adventures” She smiled, full of enthusiasm.

“What adventures?” Aunt Millicents eyes seemed to be getting wider by the second.

“Well I’ve yet to have them, but they'll be perfectly thrilling!” Maggie exclaimed.

“Child, novelists are not highly thought of in good society” uh oh, let the lecture begin “And there is nothing, so difficult, to marry as a novelist”

“Marry!?” Maggie exclaimed in confusion.

“But Aunt. Margret is only just 16” Mrs. Darling reminded.

Maggie shuttered at her full name. She didn’t like it, too girly, too proper. 

“Walk toward me dear, so that I may appraise you” Aunt Millicent didn’t listen to Mrs. Darling at all. She didn’t really listen to anyone come to think of it.

Maggie started to chuckle at the awkwardness of it all. Michael, John and Wendy doing the same, although trying to hide it, unlike their eldest sister.

“Go on, stand up straight,” Mr. Darling ordered.

That didn’t help the children's giggles.

“Mmmm, turn around” Aunt Millicent ordered. Maggie did so, making her siblings laugh even more, despite their fathers attempts to stop them “Yes, oh it’s quite as I expected, Margaret possess a woman's chin”

Maggie reached up to touch her chin in confusion. 

“Have you not noticed?” Aunt Millicent questioned Mr and Mrs. Darling “observe her mouth. There, hidden in the right hand corner! Is that a kiss?”

“A kiss” John exclaimed.

“Like… mothers kiss” Maggie whispered in awe.

“A hidden kiss” Aunt Millicent confirmed.

“But what is it for?” Wendy questioned.

Wendy had always been the romantic of the two sisters. Although both had a vivid imagination, Wendy had always been slightly more grounded and slightly more interested in romance then her sister. 

“It is for the greatest adventure of all! They that find it, have slipped in and out of heaven” Aunt Millicent walked towards the young woman.

“Find what?” Maggie questioned.

“The one the kiss belongs to” Aunt Millicent finished. 

Belongs to? Maggie was so confused, she doubted if she could walk straight.

“My Margret, a woman” Mr. Darling gushed.

“Well, almost a woman” Aunt Millicent corrected.

Everyone stared at Maggie with wide eyes, Maggie didn’t like it one bit.

“No, no” Maggie shook her head “I’m not a woman, I will not be kept stationary as a housewife, and I do not belong to anyone!” Maggie shouted, running up the stairs.

“Margret! Margret come down this instance!” Mr. Darling called.

But Maggie paid him no such attention. 

She ran into the nursery, and collapsed on her bed crying. She didn’t want to grow up. It was bad enough she had to be 16, why any older? She sat on her bed and cried for a while, until she felt a presence behind her. It was Wendy.

“Are you alright Maggie?” Wendy asked softly.

“I don’t want to grow up! I don’t want to marry! If I marry, I’ll have been set up with someone I barely know, who’s as boring as father!” Maggie exclaimed, pacing around the room now.

“Maggie not so loud” Wendy scolded.

Maggie sighed, sitting in the small chair by the window. She looked out the window longingly.

“It can’t really be that bad” Wendy tried to make her sister feel better “I mean, mother and father love each other. I should love to marry a man, and live in a wonderful house with children and such”

“And be chained to the kitchen stove?” Maggie questioned in annoyance.

“Well I don’t suppose it could be that bad” Wendy reasoned.

“Well I do!” Maggie burst out, standing from her chair.

Wendy pulled her sister into a hug. Despite the 3 year age difference, Wendy and Maggie were roughly the same height, Wendy was quite tall. Maggie rested her forehead on her sisters, trying not to cry as she fidgeted with the wooden charm hanging off Wendy’s neck. Maggie had made it for her one winter when Wendy had gotten particularly sick. Wendy never took it off.

“I do”

~*~*~*~*~*~