So Lucky

~*Peter did not want Maggie to leave. Once again he visited Maggie’s home, to see if Mr. and Mrs. Darling had closed the window yet. But as before, he saw Mrs. Darling in her chair by the window, her eyes tired with searching the heavens. Wishing her babies would return*~

Maggie’s head rang as she slowly woke up from her forced sleep. Her head ached as she felt the ground below her moving. The smell of salt water filled her lungs as she slowly opened her eyes, being met with harsh sunlight, much different from the darkness of the hideout she’d become accustomed too.

As Maggie’s eyes opened fully, she saw the curving horizon of the ocean, as the sounds and songs of pirates filled her ears until she finally realized she was aboard the Jolly Roger. Maggie whipped herself around for any sign of Peter, or Wendy or her brothers. All she found were the pale, tattooed, dirty faces of pirates.

She ran towards the edge of the boat, if she tried hard enough she could swim back to shore. Suddenly a stiff boney hand grasped her shoulders. She turned her head slowly. Hook stood behind her with a twisted grin.

“Come with me won’t you?”

Hook dragged the girl to his chambers, shoving her through the door that would be kept guard by Mr. Smee. Hook practically threw Maggie into a chair as he walked around her tauntingly. Maggie tried to leap up, but Hook grabbed hold of her hair, causing a loud yelping sound as he yanked her back into the chair.

“What the bloody hell do you want!” Maggie shouted

“No need to get loud my dear” Hook tsked, standing in front of the girl, dangling his sword from one hand, the other obviously holding his hook “I hear that you, ran away from home”

Maggie froze, her eyebrows furrowing as she thought.

“Well- I-it wasn’t like that-”

“And stole your baby siblings away with you, how wonderful!” Hook cheered with a grin

“I didn’t! It- it was their choice!” Maggie countered, not so sure of herself.

The girl hadn’t thought of it like that before. In fact, she had hardly remembered her parents the entire time she’d been in Neverland.

“But how would the young ones feel? Oh they all so want to be like their big sister” Hook continued to patronize the girl “Tell me, why is it you were so persistent on leaving in the first place?”

“My-... My parents wanted me to… grow up” Maggie muttered, attempting to keep up a brave face, despite how terrified she truly was.

“Growing up is such a barbarous business” Hook scoffed “Things are so much simpler when you’re younger”

“Yes” Maggie nodded, scolding herself for agreeing with the evil man

“And then the mess starts, the feelings come” Hook signed dramatically “Pan is so lucky to be untroubled by them”

Maggie stiffened at that, her eyes pricking with tears at the thought of the night before. Hook took notice of this, faking concern as he lowered his sword.

“Oh no… He cannot love. It’s a much to, risky business for someone, and why would he want to? Who could possibly be worth the time of glorious Peter Pan?”

Maggie’s heart sank, for Hook spoke in such condescending tones, she knew he was talking about him. No matter what feelings Maggie had grown for the boy, he’d never love her. She’d never be good enough for anyone. Not Peter, not mother or father, not Wendy, not even her brothers. She would always be the messy child who people had to worry about.

“Now, there there” Hook sighed, looking sad for the girl “It doesn’t have to be this way. Didst thou ever want to be, a pirate me hearty?” Hook smiled

Maggie froze, her thoughts coming back to her, as she realized all Hook was trying to do was lure her in. Even if some things he said were in fact true, she would never betray Peter or her family. Maggie roze from her seat, glaring up at the captain angrily.

“I will never be a pirate” she growled
Hook sighed, standing up straight, and shaking his head.

“Very well, at least allow me to take you ashore my dear” Hook bargained

Maggie knew it was a trick, but nevertheless she didn’t want to have to swim. She raised an eyebrow, a dark look on her face.

“Promise you won’t follow me?”

“Oh I swear it my dear” Hook held up his hook, the other hand over his heart.

Maggie didn’t believe him once again. She gave a stiff nod, and the pirates set back to shore. Maggie was left at shore, not moving an inch until the pirates were all back on their ship. She watches as Hook gave her a small smile and a wave from his spot. She knew they’d come after her as soon as she turned her back. Maggie ran as fast as she could away from the shore, taking the longest way possible back to the hideout, hoping that if the pirates did follow her, they’d get tired before she reached home.

It had become dark the next day when she got back. The boys all welcomed her happily, overjoyed to see their mother again, all except one. Peter sat in his bed, alone all night. He didn’t eat or say a word to Maggie as she talked and played with the children, or when she put them all to bed. He simply stayed distant until he left to go hunting the next morning.

~*~*~*~*~*~