Storytime

While I had a lovely warm shower, cleansing myself of the smell of dung, I thoroughly washed my hair–it was due for a good wash anyway. Once completely clean, I dried my hair and wrapped it into two buns.

Next, I changed into an oversized navy hoodie, a white t-shirt, a pair of black shorts, and some black trainers. After that, I made my way back to the girl's dorm. When I entered the room, I noticed Brooklynn was alone.

She stared at her phone screen, her thumb swiping against it as she scrolled with a down-heartened frown. I had no interest in prying into her business, so I got my art supplies, headphones and MP3 player to sit on one of the four couches. I pressed play on the MP3, smiling as I sketched out Toro, Darius and the enclosure we had escaped from as a silly cartoonish doodle.

Time passed, and I had completed all three sketches–they were better than any sketches I'd done this summer! I fawned over my art until I felt someone tapping my shoulder; it was Brooklynn. I looked at her silently, pausing my music and removing my headphones.

"Look. We got a bad start, but I want to start over. Can we?" Brooklynn asked.

"Of course we can," I replied, standing up and giving her my hand. But, if we are going to restart, we must do it properly. Brooklynn shook my hand, and I cleared my throat.

"Hi, I'm Kiara Kon, and I'm twelve; it's a pleasure to meet you," I said, a grin forming on Brooklynn's face.

"It's nice to meet you too! I'm Brooklynn, and I'm thirteen. I love vlogging and have a huge social network. What are your hobbies?" she said, sitting on the couch. I sat beside her.

"Well, I like to listen to music, draw and read lots of things, but mostly books on dinosaurs," I said, glancing at my sketchbook.

"Hey, want to see my vlog?" Brooklynn asked, her eyes sparkling as she awaited my obvious answer:

"Yes!"

She whipped out her phone and opened her profile, showing it to me.

"Woah..." I whispered. Sammy and Yasmina weren't kidding when they said Brooklynn was famous. She had 27 million followers and almost twelve thousand videos!

"Here, this was one of my favourite videos to record," Brooklynn said, pressing onto one of her videos titled "Unboxing Kathmandu: Hacks for when you lock yourself out of your hotel room."

A cleverly made introduction clip started the video, and soon it showed Brooklynn outside a gorgeous hotel in Nepal, making finger guns at the camera. We watched quietly, Brooklynn's recorded voice filling our ears until the video ended.

"What did you think?" Brooklynn asked excitedly, the teal specks of her eyes glimmering.

"I loved it! I can't believe you went to Nepal!" I replied. "Do you travel a lot for your videos?"

"First off, thank you! And second, I travel all the time. Once camp is over, I'll be back to travelling, and my first stop will be England! The last time I went here, I recorded a video with the Queen, but that didn't go too well..."

Pardon? She met the Queen of England? That's incredible! I was about to ask her more when Sammy burst into the room.

"Darius is going to tell us a horror story!" she exclaimed, taking our hands and pulling us off the couch. "Come on!"

"All right, we are coming!" Brooklynn laughed.

We rushed towards the balcony, where the others sat around a fire. I sat beside Brooklynn, Sammy and Darius on their benches and Kenji and Ben together. I was surprised to see Ben; I thought he feared everything creepy or unhygienic. Yasmina was standing alone by the fence with a book in her hand.