Fragile Fury - Chapter Twenty Three

Okay, so I know this is two days later than I said it woudl be buuuut....the ghost stole it? Anywho, here you are!

********* 

Chapter Twenty Three

Damon held his hand up to Anna who was still perched on a tree branch unsure of what was going on. She noticed then, that there was a thick silver ring on one of his slender fingers, glimmering in the light. He shook his hand in an impatient manner, "come on," he hissed, "we're going." Anna caught a glimpse of Asher in the corner of her eye, she saw a dark shadow pass across his face.

     "There is no need," he said, solemnly, "We planned on moving on. If my army is needed, then I shall raise them where they are needed and no so far away." He turned towards Anna, his eyes were the darkest she had ever seen them, such a dark blue they were almost navy. His intense gaze caused a shiver to crawl along her spine. "Do you need help, princess?" Anna's throat was dry, her words not passing her lips.

     She was somewhat thankful when Jess touched her shoulder, "No. I'm fine thanks, Ash," she said.

     In the distance, someone screamed and Damon's eyes blazed. He didn't wait for her to take his hand; instead he jumped grabbing her wrist tightly and yanked her from the tree.

     She was sure she he would pull her arm off, as he dragged her away from the others. Vaughn followed, and soon did Jess. Soon the blurring of thick brown tree trunks and green bushes became something Anna remembered. The grey stone gave way to the side of the mountain and they were back at the cave.

    Damon smelt the air, rolling his head with his eyes closed like a snake that had smelt a rat. "The wolves are with the fey," was all he said. His muscles tensed like tight cords beneath his skin.

     "We can take them," Jess said slipping past Anna, so she was beside Damon, the prickle of cold against Anna's skin made her shiver, all logic told her someone that cold should be dead. But Anna couldn't remember the when the last time anything was logical. "They're just a bunch of hairy men."

     "With chomping teeth," Vaughn pointed out. Anna glanced at him and wore a look of confusion just as the others. "What?" he said, "That was my impression of a werewolf," he rolled his eyes, "forget it. You don't know talent."

     "If the werewolves looked like that," Jess mocked, "I'd think I was fighting an angry goldfish," before sauntering off to the caves entrance, disappearing into the darkness.

     There were no voices from the cave, nor screams or cries, but all at once cold air blew from the mouth of it. Snow and shards of time were tossed into the. There was a noise then. The sound of wind moving so fast it howled between the trees. The sky above them grew darker, and then it rained. The ice cold water beat down on them from the sky, and it wasn't long before Anna was soaked through. Her hair stuck to her face, the freak change of weather confusing her. The cry of a wolf was heard but Jess remained silent. Anna couldn't help the thought of her being dead slipping into her head. She was but one girl, against a pack of werewolves.

     Vaughn and Damon traded a coded glance before turning their eyes on Anna. "Stay here," Damon edged closer to the cave, he moved without a sound, effortlessly as if he were part of the wind. Vaughn stepped backwards closing the gap between him and, Anna. He had his sword drawn.

     "Stay quiet," he said over his shoulder. Anna clutched her hand through fear. He squeezed it in return, weakly smiling at her. "Everything will be okay." There was a moment between them that needed no explaining. Vaughn hugged her. He held her tight against his chest while she bunched his shirt in her fists as hugged him just as fiercely. 

     They stayed like that, Anna with her eyes closed, burning, I won't cry, she told herself, I just won't! Until Damon emerged a while later with three angry red welts across his chest, faded cuts as if they were weeks old. Jess strolled out behind him glaring at her nails, "I hope you know," she said, "That the next time a werewolf swipes at you, and you don't get out of the way, I am not healing you without gloves on. I have-" Jess shook her head in disgust, "let's just say I'm going to need to scrub my hands clean."

     A few things happened then, at the same time, somehow too fast for Anna to really see them. A wolf appeared from the forest to Anna's left, Vaughn pushed her away and struck out at the wolf at the same time as there was a high pitched whistle and Damon's dragon flew down from the sky in one swift motion.

    The wolf cried out, and as Jess dug her hand to the floor, thin tendrils of ice flowing from her finger to where Vaughn stood with his sword deep in the wolf's chest. Damon was beside Anna, pulling her to her feet before she even noticed him move. And then she was on the back of Shadow, in front of Damon. He curled the chains tightly around his fist and the let out a roar as Jess leapt on.

     There was a sickening sound as the sword slid free of the wolf, the tip splattering the ground as Vaughn pulled it back. "Go!" he yelled, seeing a second wolf emerging from the same place as the first.

     Anna felt the need to scream, but her mouth was dry. The bitter wind hitting her face as Shadow thrust his wings down, leaping into the air. She looked down because it was all she could do, and saw Vaughn running followed by four wolves in different shades of brown. Anna thought he might trip or fall and then they would be on him, tearing into his flesh. But he jumped and caught hold of Shadow's tail.

     "Woo-hoo!" He yelled with a grin, Anna couldn't help but laugh as the wolves, jumped beneath them, snapping their jaws shut in fail attempts of catching Vaughn's legs.

    "Sleep," Damon suddenly whispered in to her hair. His warm breath tickled her neck, and despite feeling more awake than she had in a long time. Anna leant back in to his chest, melting into his warmth as he close his wings around her and fell asleep. The last thing she saw was the blue ocean under them; they had left France and the wolves behind. And Jordan, they had left him fighting an army of impossible numbers on his own with only a few vampires. Anna had no idea, that when she awoke, even more would have changed for her. 

****************** 

Peace out penguins! Votes and Comments please! xx