let's take a trip to the maze

"Hey Marie." Frypan greeted me smiling as I approached him with my plate in my hands.
"Hiya, Frypan. I'm very hungry this morning, it's been two days since the Slammer and I'm still starving!" I complained tilting my head back. Frypan scooped several spoonfuls of beans, a few pieces of bacon and an egg onto my plate. I grinned at the food and gave him a quick 'thankyou' before heading towards a table.

"Morning guys!" I said as I sat down in between Newt and Minho. They murmured a reply but quickly went back to shoving food in their mouths.
"You're up early, Ree" Newt commented swallowing a mouthful of egg.
"The grievers kept me awake all night, I haven't been to sleep yet." I sighed scooping a spoonful of beans up and eating them.
"Maybe you should take the day off then. I'm sure Clint and Jeff can survive without you for one day." Minho suggested.

After Minho got me out of the Slammer two days ago and we went to check on Newt, Alby had me try out for all the jobs (excluding a Runner because I'm a 'necessity' to the Glade and they 'can't afford to loose me') and I ended up being a med-jack!

"Alright, I'll go back to bed" I stated happily getting up from my seat and giving my plate to one of the Sloppers.
"See you guys later! Good luck with the running Minho!" I called out behind me before walking upstairs and jumping into my bed. I'm sure Jeff or Clint will figure out I'm not coming in, they know me well enough...

****

I woke up with a groan and lifted my head off of the uncomfortable pillow. It was almost dark so the Runners would be coming back soon. I decided to go greet Minho at the doors even though he'll probably run straight past me and head straight into the map room to write everything down.

The Gladers had been here for pretty much three years, I knew most of then had begun to loose hope of leaving a long time ago. No one believed there was anymore Maze left to explore even though Minho hadn't even told anyone it was actually true. He had run every inch of the Maze himself. He knew there was no way out... but now I had arrived! So maybe everything was going to change...

I swung my legs round and hopped off the bed. I began strolling towards the doors, smiling at each Glader as I passed. But something was different. There was a thick tension in the air, no one was smiling, no one was talking or laughing like usual. I spied Newt in the distance, by the door,looking like he pacing back and forth nervously. No scratch that. He was pacing back and forth nervously.

I lightly jogged over to him and greeted him with a wide smile to which he returned a nervous half -smile-thing. I sighed.

"What's wrong, Newt? Everyone's acting weird." I asked him running a hand through my hair.
"It's nothing, Ree, everything's fine." He lied.
"Stop lying! Something's up. Now tell me." I demanded beginning to get annoyed. I just wanted to know what was up!
"I-it's Minho. And Alby." He began "Minho found a dead griever this morning just after he began running"
"A dead griever?!"
"A dead griever. They both went our there to check it out and they...haven't come back yet." He explained taking deep breaths.
"Well shuck me sideways!" I sighed.
"It'll be fine, they'll come back soon. They'll make it. They have to." He told me but it sounded like he was reassuring himself more than me. Minho and Alby were his closest friends, it would suck if they didn't come back.

Suddenly, the familiar loud rumble sounded throughout the Glade. Flocks of boys came running towards the now rapidly closing doors probably to see if Alby and Minho had returned. Silence hung in the air apart from the sound of gears turning and stone grinding against stone.

All we could see was darkness beginning to cover everything. When suddenly a figure appeared coming round a corner. Minho. With a person clutching onto their back. Alby.

"Come on Minho! You can make it!" I shouted to him. Minho wasn't going fast enough to make it but that didn't stop the rest of the Gladers from joining in. Everyone began shouting encouragements, begging him to make it back.

But the doors were almost shut and he was still a good ten metres away. It might not have been the best decision to make then and there. But I made it. I chose to run straight into the Maze doors, shaking off Newt's sudden death grip on my arm. I fell to the floor with a thud just as the doors shut behind me and everything fell silent.

"Great job, Marie" Minho said panting "You just killed yourself."
"No I have not. Let's just get the shuck out here, eh?"

***

Oh hey. Sorry for the picture incase you felt an emotion. I did.