Chapter 16: Faerie Magic

"Can I have a platter of tiny sandwiches and a dish of Fårikål, please?" Loki requested once you made it to a small brick restaurant down the road from the boutique.

"And may I have an order of shrimp alfredo, please?" You added to the order.

"Your total is eight gold coins," the young boy behind. Loki handed him the money and pulled you aside so you could wait for your food.

"The party is only in a few short hours, are you nervous?" Loki asked you.

"Of course not," you lied.

"Ok it's simple. He announces our engagement, we share a dance and then we can hide in a corner for the rest of the night." He told you.

"The hiding in the corner part sounds nice," you laughed as you grabbed your food from the counter.

"It's my favorite party activity," he joked. You both left the building and slowly walked back to the boutique. Loki passed a book cart and absolutely had to buy one, so you waited patiently on the bench behind him.

The town looked the same as it did from Loki's balcony. Children were running around with wooden swords. There was a man who was watering his garden and behind him you could see the same forest from the race track. The woods seem to stretch across the outskirts of the entire kingdom.

Everything seemed peaceful and perfect. Each detail of the village glistened under the golden light of the afternoon sun. Your eyes scanned the pattern of the brick and the sway of the flowers but stopped short at a familiar looking cloaked figure. The black hood was tattered but covered the head of the person who was perched on the thick branches of a tall willow tree. You squinted your eyes to get a better look at the person staring in Loki's direction.

"Loki, Loki," you whispered to him without taking your eyes off the stalker.

"What is it, darling? What are you looking at?" He turned on his heel and took a few steps in your direction.

"There's someone in the trees," you whispered.

"What?" He whipped his head to face the woods where the figure you had saw faded into the air with a light pink sparkle.

"Faerie magic," he sighed, "c'mon before they follow us." He told you. You stood up and followed him back to the boutique, keeping your eyes glued to the woods.

"I'm back," you smiled from the doorway of Ila's room.

"And you have my sandwiches. Yep you're definitely my favorite princess," she greeted you and skipped over to retrieve her lunch.

"Of course I'm your favorite," you laughed and sat down to dig into your lunch.

"Do you like the suit?" She pointed to the the outfit that rest carefully on the manequin she had adjusted earlier. The front the suit was a deep black velvet that was staying in one piece under the support of a few pins. The pants seemed to be completed; the black matched the top. From the front jacket you could see a tailcoat. The inside fabric was a smooth cotton in a charcoal grey shade. To complete the look there was set of gold rings on one of the work tables. Each ring possessed a different gem. Each crystal glimmered under the bright sun beams that peaked through Ila's curtains. You could only reckgonize a few of the gems such as, amethyst, emerald and carnelian.

"It looks great," you exhaled. It truly did look magnificent. Your expectations were not high considering this was your first ever suit. Back on Alfheim, your father expected perfection..traditional perfection. Sadly for you and your brothers, he strongly enforced gender roles. Despite your attempts at protest, you were forced to wear those dreaded floor length dresses and take more domestic electives in school while your brothers got to do the more athletic and adventerous activities.

"I just have to finished the front and iron it a bit. It'll be ready before your engagement party." She assured you as she finished her lunch.

"Are you coming tonight?" You inquired, curiously.

"Of course," she replied. She tossed the trash from her meal into the white wired waste basket that sat by the door overflowing with what looked like sketches and design ideas. She glided over to the manequin allowing her dress to sweep accross the tiled floor. While she finished your outfit for tonight, you started to wander about the rest of the boutique. Nobody was interesting enough the eavesdrop on so you opted to bothering Loki.

*

Your comments always cheer me up, so here is another chapter :]

Olivia <3