Chapter Thirteen

Poseidon had come up in a sea of waves.

"State your business," Osiris said. It was practically habit by now.

"Let's just say I'm willing to make a deal with you that you won't be able to refuse," Poseidon said.

"So you're positive you don't know how to do that teleport thing?" Bastet asked. Rainbow sighed but nodded, and Bastet simply rolled her eyes.

Did she not see the literal fear inside Rainbow when she accidentally ripped open the universe?

"Relax, Bastet," Amelia said. "I don't think any of us know how it happened."

"Well someone should," Rainbow said, her hands sweating. Those two hands were responsible for every magical problem she'd created so far during her existence on Olympus. The attack was probably the worst one. She half-expected fire to burst out and she destroyed Athens without meaning to.

Or, what was left of Athens.

"I've just noticed something," Jacob said. "Where did all the life go?"

Rainbow had been wondering the exact same thing. They were literally the only four living creatures that were walking down the streets, the only signs that people had existed were the deserted buildings and random objects they'd left behind.

"Did someone tell the place to evacuate or something?" Bastet picked up a stray cell phone. "What even is this?"

"Well, in the modern day world, everyone's obsessed with those; they're phones," Rainbow said, finding an unmarked postcard, with some cheesy words on it like, "Come see the original Athens!" It honestly was way too corny for her liking.

"Hey, this place is weirder than the Underworld," Jacob said, holding up a dried rose. "Who would just leave this around?"

Then he seemed to get an idea, because he then playfully grinned and offered Rainbow the wilting flower. She took it, but when he walked away, she zipped over to the nearest trash can and tossed it, partially because there was the risk of greenfly (got sick with it once and it was awful), but her mixed feelings of everything was a big factor as well.

Rainbow honestly didn't even know how to feel around Jacob anymore. There were times where she'd feel like she should try it, others where she was afraid of what the outcomes could be. It didn't help with the kids thinking her and the guy had to be together (apparently there was also some nasty rumor that was entirely untrue about how she was secretly with Fluttershy or something), and then there was the guy who thought they were in a relationship. She'd friendzoned him approximately ten times in the last year alone. She was scared to try it again, thanks to what others had thought of her. But then again, Jacob was like not only the biggest dork she'd ever met (bigger than Twilight), but he'd also shown that he may have feelings towards her, even willing to protect her from his own father. It was like whenever Poseidon was thrown into the mix, Jacob got all defensive and was all, "You're getting out alive," and that explained why he was freaking out when she chose to enter the rapids. It was at that moment, during the second trial when they were trying to get out from the flood and the waves and the rapids, that she'd realized she didn't even know what she was feeling about anything anymore.

"You know, I remember hearing a story my father told me about a deserted town," Amelia said, breaking the silence. "Only it was filled with men who were out to get the women who stepped out of line. It was around that time that I was getting interested in flight and becoming a pilot, but my father wanted me to become a nurse."

"Then let's be careful, because 75% percent of the life here is female," Bastet joked.

Maybe Jacob was right. Maybe Bastet and Rainbow were more alike.