What If

HI! I know it's been way too long since I've updated this, but here it is. I recommend going back to the last chapter and rereading it before you start this one. Also I don't have a good name for this chapter. So. Yeah. :) Enjoy!

Poppy jumped at the feeling of a hand on her shoulder. She twisted around and her eyes met familiar ones.

"B-ranch? What're you doing here?"

Without answering, he sat down on the bed and took her in his arms like an infant. "Branch?" Poppy asked. Again, no reply. Branch glanced at the open scrapbook lying on her bed, and then back at her.

He looked down at her and she looked up at him. Yet, Poppy immediately looked away when she caught his gaze. She fidgeted with his vest and messed around with her hair, really, doing anything to avoid staring at him. But she could definitely feel him peering down at her.

The girl waited for him to say something, but he remained quiet. The two stayed in an uncomfortable, thick silence for what seemed like eternity, until Branch finally spoke.

"Y'know, Pops.. I wasn't mad at you.."

Poppy flinched a bit when she heard this. He was obviously flustered about something, right? Poppy pushed back tears at the thought of him being angry at her. She tried to find her voice, but she could barely muster out a whispered reply.

"So..then.. what was it?"

Branch felt his heart break in his chest when she said that. He didn't want her to think that he was angry. That would probably just add more stress on top of everything else that she had to deal with.

"I guess I was just kind of on the edge.. I wasn't mad, more like.. frustrated." Branch rubbed the back of his neck. Boy, was it normally this.. awkward? He turned back to the book next to him and picked it up. Poppy's eyes widened as he took it in his hand. "Wait, Branch, stop!" She jolted up out of his lap.

Branch glanced at her. "Yes?" His eyebrows arched, puzzled. "I- I, c... could you.. you maybe not read that?" Poppy's voice quivered as she spoke, so much that Branch put down the scrapbook. Poppy hugged the book to her chest and turned away.

Branch sighed and got up off the bed. "Alright. I can see you don't want to talk," he said, "So.. I guess I'll see you tomorrow?" The girl stayed in her bed for a moment, before she decided that she didn't really want to be left alone.

But Branch was already out of her pod when his ears perked up.

"Wait, Branch!"

He turned around with a confused expression. What could she possibly want now? "Branch, please, don't leave." Poppy's eyes were pleading in a way he couldn't refuse, so he walked back towards the bed. He sat down next to her and she immediately hugged him.

And not a sweet, gentle, Poppy-hug, no, she squeezed him until he felt like he was about to explode. When Poppy realized, she loosened her grip, but still didn't let go. With a small sigh of defeat, Branch wrapped his arms around her and gladly buried himself in her hair.

The two remained like this, like statues, for a little while and then broke apart. "I love you, Popcorn." Branch watched a small grin curl up her lips when said that. He always seemed to know exactly how to make her smile. "Why do you always call me silly nicknames?" she asked.

She was smiling a beautiful, full smile now. "If Barb can do it, why can't I, Popsicle," he grinned, emphasizing her playful nickname.

And then, he realized, that the day maybe wouldn't be that bad after all.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓸𝓼 █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

"Argh!"

Poppy pulled on her ears. She stared into her closet, peering down at the rainbow of dresses that she rarely wore. The queen let out a sigh. She wanted to look nice for her date with Branch, no, she wanted to look perfect.
But how exactly was she supposed to do that when she had nothing perfect to wear?

Her eyes scanned the closet once more, but nothing stood out. She slumped down onto the floor and groaned. Poppy sat there, on the floor, and let her mind wander into a jumble of words and thoughts and pictures.

Something I want to talk to you about..

Her ears perked up at this thought. It was random, coming out of nowhere.

Urgent..

Poppy's brow furrowed, trying to figure out where she had heard these seemingly meaningless words. They were so familiar, yet so far away.

Important..

Then it hit her.

Branch. It was Branch.

She blinked a few times as she recalled their conversation they had earlier.

"Oh, Pops, I gotta go!"

She pouted at this. She really didn't want him to go. They were having too much fun. Branch kissed her and wrapped her up in a hug. "I love you! Don't forget about our date!" Poppy smiled and nodded. She was ecstatic about it, especially because there was a rumor-

"I have something I want to talk to you about. And it's kinda of urgent, and really important, so, you'll be there, right?" Poppy giggled and glanced up a bit, barely minding him any attention. "Yup!" The girl sighed as she watched him walk away.

Poppy felt her stomach churn. Too many "what-if" questions were running thru her brain.

This was going to be a long day.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓸𝓼 █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

The twenty-third hug time at Misty Meadows..

Branch exhaled and slumped farther down into his chair. He was emotionally and physically exhausted. He rubbed his eyes and looked around. Still no sign of Poppy. Branch felt his eyelids getting heavier and heavier, trying to stay awake.

His eyes popped open when he heard footsteps. He sat up and peered into the dark meadow. "Branch! I'm so sorry I'm late!" He swiveled around and met his girlfriend's eyes.
Branch smiled.

"Hey.. whoa.."

He felt his breath hitch at the sight of her. "Poppy.." Branch walked closer to her, admiring the stunning sight. It was breathtaking, the way the moonlight gave her skin a luminous glow, or how the dress perfectly flowed down over her waist. It looked a blue griseous color, the moon shining thru the clouds casting a purplish shine.

The gown was long, trailing behind her closely. It was scattered with beautiful flowers all along the top, and glitter lining all of the petals. It stopped just below her collar bone and was topped off with a bouquet of lace poking out the top.

His mind swirled into a whirlwind of thoughts before he heard something faint.

"Branch?"

"Branch!"

"Um, hey! Earth to Branch!"

He blinked. "Oh!" Branch's face flushed when he noticed his hands gripped at her hips. He let go and backed away, his face burning. "I'm sorry, I d-didn't mean to.. I wasn't trying to..argh.." He groaned, burying his face in his hands.

"Aw, Branchie, come on.." Branch felt a hand on his cheek and peeked out of his hands. "No need to be embarrassed." Poppy wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed his forehead. "Now, stop hiding and let's get to the important stuff! Food!" He cracked a tiny smile and rolled his eyes.

"Okay, then, you're the boss."