Chapter Nine

There wasn't anything wrong with feeling human.

Harlow knew that, but she'd never felt so disgustingly mortal in her entire life.

The ache throbbing at her arms and stomach was enough to make a grown man pass out.

Each pulse synchronized with her heart.

There were blue and green veins vanning, and lining, contrasted by pale skin, and red lips bright against sunken in cheeks.

An I.V drip stood behind her, pumping in morphine, (or some other fluid) into her arm, flowing into her blood stream

There was no way that she could have survived that. An attack from so many wild animals.

The smell in the air seem attributed to some form of bleach, and blood, suffocated by the heaviness of depression.

She was definitely in a hospital.

Slowly cracking one eye open, she immediately shut it, blinded by the white hot flash of white.

There wasn't any pain like a pain in your eye, because it didn't just effect your eye, but your head began to throb, your nose felt pressure, and you couldn't see a bloody thing.

There wasn't anything unusual about the room Harlow was in.

She noted that, it has white eggshell walls, so white it looked like any other color would melt off just by the pure contrast.

White linoleum reflected the un-pigmented walls, which bounced off the incessant flickering florescent lights.

There was too much blank everywhere, the only color coming from a worn faded blue blanket draped under her shoulders, and flung over one leg.

The worst thing however, ended up to be the noise.

Nothing. You could hear a damn pen drop, there were no nurses shouting over speakers, squeaky doctor shoes scuffing against the shiny floor, no grieving relatives, nor overjoyed ones.

It was simply empty.

And so silent.

The stiffness wracking her joints was enough to make her want to jump out of bed, and scramble to find something worthy to do.

She felt uncharacteristically drained, and useless.

Glancing out the short square window she was able to make out that she was on the first floor indefinitely, and that it was after sunset, but before complete nightfall.

Everything seemed to be in an in between stage, freezing up her mind with odd philosophical thoughts.

Placing her small arms against the bed, Harlow pulled herself up into a half-sitting position, resting her back against the overused mattress.

She scanned her eyes over the sides on the railing, searching for a button to call someone- anyone.

The pain in her stomach was not numbed in the least by the drip stiffly residing by her.