Chapter six

When he woke up, it was dark, and he couldn't see anything. He turned his head to try and get a better grasp of where he was, trying to control his panic as his eyes adjusted to the dim, but even this small movement caused a ripple of pain to shoot through his body.

"Saul?"

A soft voice called through the darkness and a figure stood up from the side of his bed, moving closer and coming to sit next to where he lay. He smiled as she placed her hand gently on his shoulder to let him know where he was. He would know her voice anywhere.

"Farah."

His voice was hoarse, and his throat was dry. The mind fairy beside him hummed in response and shifted as she leant over his bedside drawer. A dim lamp was switched on and he saw his friend reach for a glass just next to her.

"Here. Drink."

Gently she helped him to lift his head and tilted the glass so that the water wouldn't spill. When she had placed the water back on the drawer, she lifted a hand to his forehead, pressing it softly against his skin.

"You have a fever which is to be expected but how is your pain at the moment?"

He almost laughed at that. She knew exactly how much pain he was in. After all, they had been through the war together. It was when he thought about what to tell her that she slipped her hand gently into his and the pain began to fade until it was nothing. His gaze met hers and he almost smiled when he saw the white-blue glow of her eyes. It never ceased to amaze him at how beautiful she could look when performing magic. He didn't smile though; he knew how much this would exhaust her and he tried removing his hand from hers.

"Farah, don't. You shouldn't be using so much magic."

"Saul..."

"Please."

She sighed and he saw the white tinge fade slightly, the pain came back as a dull ache almost immediately. He opened his mouth to argue that she shouldn't be using her magic at all but she shook her head.

"This is all of the pain I'll take from you, but I refuse to take nothing."

He heard the plea in her voice and recognised the tone from when he had been injured in battle many times before and hadn't been allowed to help kill the burned one. He knew she had been injured terribly in the past, but somehow, he had never been with her when it had happened. He had never had to sit by her bedside waiting for his friend to wake. So, he let her take his pain, he knew if he'd been in her position he would have felt as though it was the only thing he could do.

"I'm sorry."

Her voice sounded choked, and he could see the tears that threatened to fall. He hated that, hated to see her distressed, especially when it was about him.

"For what?"

"I should never have let you take the burned one, I should never have even let it be close to the school in the first place. If I hadn't..."

Her voice peters off and he shakes his head.

"Don't Farah. Let's not play the blame game, none of this was your fault. Anyway, give me some credit, I can make my own decisions now, I'm all grown up after all."

That got her to smile. It was faint, but it was there, and it warmed his heart.

"What time is it anyway?"

"Late, middle of the night in fact."

"Why are you still here?"

"I needed to make sure you didn't accidentally finish the job the burned one started. Ben would kill me."

He laughed until he started to cough. It hurt his ribs and he winced as the pain hit him. Almost immediately the fairy beside him started to take more of his pain and help him sit up while she rubbed his back. Using her magic, she propped his pillows up so that when he leaned back, he was sitting up straighter. Handing him a glass of water and a tissue, the fairy kept her gaze trained on her hands as he dabbed at his watering eyes. When he could finally relax again and she took the glass from his hands, he looked up to meet her gaze, reaching out for her hand. He held it and traced the patterns of her veins with his thumb.

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"For being here."

"Don't make me do it again."

"I'll try my best."

"Go to sleep. I know you're not about to take a sick day, so you'll need your rest. I've talked to Sky and made sure your lesson plans are on your desk."

"How is he."

"How do you think?"

"Shit."

"Language."

He smiled. It was such a force of habit for her to correct any 'inappropriate' language that she often forgot she wasn't talking to students but her friends.

"Just go to sleep Saul."

"Yes Miss Dowling."

She laughed, and he felt sleep begin to wash over him. No doubt because of her magic as her eyes whitened again. He couldn't help but smile once again as he thought how wonderful it was, that the last thing he heard was her laugh, before he fell asleep. If only it could always be that way.

AN

So I haven't updated in a while but I hope this chapter is ok.

Also, merry (late) Christmas to those that celebrate and happy holidays to those that don't!

😃🎄