Chapter two

She had gone out on a mission to track down a pair of burned ones. Her usual specialist for the mission had been injured to badly to do anything but go home in disgrace, she had been put in a group with her friends. Ben, Andreas, and Saul, Saul was her partner. The former pair had taken down one burned one before being told to turn back to patch themselves and others up, she and Saul had been told to kill the last burned one. It had ambushed them, she had barely registered its presence before it was on top of them, and then they were fighting for their lives. Her magic had protected them as her friends sword had slashed towards the creature, but then he had run further and faster than she had expected, her magic hadn't kept up. He was struck down and his cry echoed in her ears as she felt pain in her chest. She hadn't thought anything of it at first, she had to kill the burned one, had to protect him.

But when the burned one was dead and she had brought him back to camp, that was when she had noticed it. She had taken of her blood soaked shirt, wanting to change while he was being treated so that she could sit next to him later. A large light blue phantom gash ran from her shoulder to her waist. At that moment a twinge of pain rippled through her, just as her friends cries echoed through the camp. He was most likely being stitched up and they had run out of pain medication days ago. She could feel his pain, he was her soulmate.

She never told him. Even once the war was over she found she couldn't tell him, they never even brought soulmates into a conversation until Ben had. He had found them and they had sat down with a bottle of whisky, wondering what they were to do now that the school belonged to them.

"Rose would know. She always knew."

That was how the conversation had started, Ben had brought up his dead soulmate, the woman they had all loved but not in comparison to him for she had been his soulmate.

"Do you two ever wonder about your soulmates?"

The specialist had been the first to answer.

"Not much, but I know she's out there even though I don't know who she is."

"Do you want to find her?"

" It doesn't make any difference. I don't want to be forced into a relationship and I don't want to force her into one. Besides, she most likely has a husband and kids by now, not many wait for their soulmate anymore, the war stopped all thoughts of soulmates."

The mind fairy could feel her heart clench in her chest as the next question was asked again.

"But do you want to find her?"

"No, I don't need any distractions, I have Sky and you guys, I don't need some random person disrupting that."

Disappointment blossomed in her chest, she couldn't tell him now, could never tell him.

A gentle poke to her side made her look up.

"And you Farah? Do you know who your soulmate is?"

"Yes."

"Who is he?"

She smiled softly at them and put on an air of not caring.

"Someone who doesn't want to know me."

"So you've met him?"

She nodded slowly.

"I met him for the first time years ago."

"What happened?"

"He didn't want a soulmate. I decided to live without one."

Lie. She was lying. Lying by omission. She had met him for the first time years ago, he didn't want a soulmate, she had now decided to live without him being her soulmate, but she didn't tell them he was sitting infront of her, sipping whisky from the same bottle she was. The earth fairy sent her a sympathetic look.

"Then he is an idiot."

She didn't answer, couldn't answer. Her soulmate wasn't an idiot, just someone she could only ever love from afar. Just a soulmate who could never be hers.