Chapter four

She made sure to keep him safe for years, loving him from afar and making sure he couldn't be hurt. She would watch him from the window of her classroom when he was training, making sure that any blow that was landed on him hurt less than it should. Each blue mark that didn't appear was a small victory.

When she brought the changeling into their world she could sense the shift, and yet she didn't say anything, hoping it would go away. How could she protect him if they had to go to war again? If they had to fight a fight they thought this generation would never have to see? When he was injured by the burned one she had brought to the school she had her answer. She wouldn't be able to protect him.

She had felt it when he was attacked but it had taken for her assistant to look at her with a horrified expression on his face for her to realise what was happening. She had dashed to a mirror, blue phantom marks covered her neck and shoulders with lines spreading across her skin. Calumn helped her cover them with make-up and pretend to look at paperwork just before Beatrix rushed into her office.

She didn't run, she had a reputation to uphold, but she walked as close to a run as she could. Bursting into the greenhouse, she ignored the children and her friend in favour of holding her soulmate. She held him tight as she used her magic to take as much pain away as she could. When the medication finally kicked in and he fell asleep, his head still on her lap, her fingers trailing through his hair.

"How long have you known?"

"Mm?"

She looked up watching her friend pack the medical supplies away. A plant's tendril softly tapped the side of her neck as the earth fairy raised an eyebrow.

"Your make-up is wearing off, I can see the lines on your neck."

"Oh."

"Does he know?"

She sighed and shook her head.

"No."

"Why not?"

"You've heard him, he doesn't want to even meet his soulmate."

Since the evening where she had first told them about her supposed soulmate they had, had many discussions. The earth fairy had shared anecdotes, she had kept quiet, and the specialist had always vehemently denied any curiosity towards the identity of his own soulmate. He had always stated he had no need for her, and never wanted to know who she was.

"But he doesn't know that his hypothetical soulmate is you. Do you really think he wouldn't want to know?"

"I don't want to ruin the friendship that we have Ben. I don't know what I would do without him and if he left or didn't want anything to do with me..."

She trailed off, running her fingers gently over the side of her soulmates face, watching him closely for the signs of any pain.

"We need to get him back to his rooms. I shouldn't ask this after what you've told me but I need to see Terra and Sam so would you mind?"

"Of course not. Could you stop by Sky's room and ask him to come by my office?"

"Of course. Goodnight Farah."

"Goodnight Ben."

AN

It's been a while, but here's the next chapter. Hope you enjoyed it!