Chapter one

TW: for brief mentions of self harm

The first time a phantom mark had appeared on her skin that she could remember, she was five. Small light blue marks that resembled bruises appeared on her knees for a few minutes before disappearing again. She had smiled when she saw them, apparently her soulmate was just as adventurous as she was. From then on she would notice many more cut and bruise shaped marks appear in the same light blue before they disappeared again. She wondered if he noticed the bruises she ended up with and she felt bad when her magic got so out of control that she would nurse a migraine for an entire day sometimes or would lash out and cause marks that looked as though she had been burned to appear on her skin. She hoped they didn't hurt her soulmate too badly.

She found out he would most likely be a specialist when she was fourteen. Marks that were shaped like fists, boots, and outlines of wooden training sticks started appearing almost daily. She supposed he must be training for school, perhaps he would go to Alfea, she might find him then. Again she wondered if he paid any attention to the marks she would get, both from her combat training and the magic she still had to fully control.

She was sixteen when she finally got to go to Alfea, her soulmate, her specialist went there to. There was a mark they gave Alfeans, just a small one on their left shoulders, hers turned light blue a few minutes after she had gotten it. She made friends with two earth fairies, Rose and Ben before she was introduced to Saul and Andreas, two specialists whom Rosalind wanted her to know. They were the top of their class.

When she was eighteen and the best of their years started being put in groups was when she found out her specialist was extremely skilled. The marks that appeared on her body matched the training exercises the top groups would get, she would constantly look around trying to find him now that it would be easier.

At nineteen she became the headmistress' protégé and she had never felt worse, not just for herself but for her soulmate aswell. To control her magic she would have heavy objects thrown at her and when she was so tired she could barely stand she would be attacked by magic so she had to fight. The training sessions would leave gashes and scars, the worst of which would last for days on her soulmate. She felt even worse when she couldn't control her magic and the only way to stop it was to dig scars into her wrist on her own. It gave her a sense of control but she still felt bad.

At the end of her fifth year, when she signed up for the Alfean army under Rosalind was when she found out who her soulmate was.