Chapter 10.

The woman walked up the stone steps to the front door and Summer and I followed her in pursuit.The woman took out a bundle of keys from her pocket, selecting one and slipping it inside the lock. It clicked and the door swung open. She stepped inside promptly, Summer behind her and I stared at my surroundings in terror.

How exactly could this be my 'home'? It looked terrifying. There were skulls with glowing eyes along the hallway, the lights were dimmed and there seemed to be spikes growing out of the walls. I couldn't live here. I'd get myself killed.

"Get inside....now" The woman hissed at me, I gulped and followed her.

"Summer, show her...the room" The woman grinned nastily. What room? Summer nodded and grabbed my arm tightly. Her grip was cold and uncomfortable. I couldn't help but stare at the place where her ear was torn off. It must hurt. I don't know why, but I felt sorry for Summer. She doesn't deserve to stay with a phsyco killer.

She dragged me up a flight of spiraling stairs. I winced. She had a hard grip. The further we climbed, the darker it became and more worry grew in my heart. I wasn't sure if Summer was genuinely nice or if she was evil, she was a mystery.

After a long and tiring climb, we reached a landing. A huge cupboard stood in front of me. A dead end. Was I going to sleep in a cupboard now?

Summer heaved the cupboard a little to the left.

There was an opening. A secret passage. I've always wanted to see something like this. I wonder if they have those bookshelves which rotate to another room?

She squeezed through the gap and beckoned for me to follow, her eyes glinting. I was slightly scared now. I could turn back, but my curiosity got the better of me and I found myself following Summer.

We had entered a dark room. And Summer was nowhere to be seen.

"Summer?" I called out in the darkness.

"Summer!"

No answer. I was alone.

And then I felt a presence rush past me.

A slow creak of the door.

I was running back now. I had to get out.

But I was too late.

The door slammed shut.

I grasped the handle. Pulling on it. Pushing it. Thumping my fists on it. Cursing at it. But it wouldn't work. The door was locked. And I was in a dark room by myself. . .

Moping wouldn't be the solution, so I decided to grope around for a light switch. Nothing. I seemed to be in a room of utter emptiness. I couldn't see anything. Feel anything. There was no one here.

As I flailed my arms around to find a source of light, I heard a creak.

I froze. Was somebody here or was I hearing things?

I strained my ears. Nothing. I must be hearing things. As I resumed with my search I felt somebody standing next to me.

My heart beat escalated. I turned to my left. Darkness. To my right. More darkness. Behind me. Pitch black. In front of me. Nothing.

And then I heard a cackle. I squinted but because of the darkness I couldn't see anything.

"Well well well, look who we have here?" Someone mocked at me. A female. She sounded a lot like Bellatrix Lestrange. Oh God, this wasn't the time to be making jokes.

Someone gripped at my shoulder in the darkness.

I brought up my fists, ready to punch anyone who came near me.

"Winter." The woman whispered. "Scared?"

I swung a punch. However, since I couldn't see who I was aiming at, I ended up hitting the air.

A few people snickered.

There were more people? Why exactly are there more people in this room?

"Missing your Mummy? Oh wait, she's dead. How useless" The woman cackled again.

How does she know about mother? How does she know my name? Where was Summer? She's a traitor anyway, locking me in here, I knew I couldn't trust her. Where was my horror of a guardian? Where was everyone?

"Kill" The woman ordered.

"Kill her now"

"You're not coming near me" I tried to sound fierce. I was failing miserably.

"Oh?" The woman said. "You're getting a little to feisty for my liking"

I shrunk back. A little. I didn't want them all to think that I was so terrified of them that I had almost wet myself. I couldn't see them. But that just added to my fear. Just by their voices, they sounded dangerous. Who wouldn't be in this house?

"I've got a better idea. Move away, we're not killing her. Not yet"

Should I be thankful that they're not going to end my life yet, or should I be scared?

"Why don't we play a game?" She asked.

Really? A game? I doubt it would be Monopoly or Snakes and Ladders. I wasn't sure of this.

"W - what game?" I mentally cursed myself for stuttering.

"A game of Hide and Seek"