Chapter 1.

I've always been an only child. I've never once experienced having a sibling. Never in my life have I got to have a younger brother or sister to comfort and amuse. Or an older sibling, who would always look out for me. I was destined to be alone...perhaps for all my life.

I can remember vividly when Mother died. Four fateful years ago. I can retell the story, again and again, even backwards. It's one of my most painful memories. Not only because I had lost the person who was most important to me, but because of the abnormal occurrence which I had countered with.

I gazed out the open window. It was a Friday night. Which means parties in every household in our neighbourhood. It was Friday the 13th to be exact. My birthday. And then I recalled what happened at Mother's funeral.

** *

I stood, with tear-streaked cheeks, next to Father. He was trying to remain strong for me but I knew he would break down soon. People started to arrive, started to hug me even though I had never seen them before. They kept saying things like: "I'm sorry for your loss" But I knew they weren't sorry at all.

Father was quite busy that day. People kept coming towards him, and asked to talk to him privately. It would have been rude if he were to decline, so he sent me an apologetic glance and walked away.

I had always been a curious child, even back then. I wanted to know the reason why Mother had left us, but even Father had no answer to that one.

I walked around the crowds of people, for some sort of escape, when I stopped dead in my tracks. A girl of my age was standing before me. She had pale white skin, long drenched black hair and blue gleaming eyes. But what was more is that she had blood...on her face...on her forehead and on her right arm.

She didn't look bothered by it though. She was wearing a long white dress, with lace and frills, it was soaked with blood. And in her left hand she was holding something...a huge blade...a knife.

She smiled at me eerily.

She walked towards me, holding the knife on chin-level.

The closer she got, the more frightened I became.

She thrust the knife at me and then...and then she said something...something like "You'll never get rid of me" And after that my memories were just a blur.

* * *

I stared out at the starry sky. Thinking about that girl. I hadn't seen her since. But what was she doing there? And the question of how Mother died hasn't been answered until this day. Her body had been hanged, or a knife had been plunged through her, it was unclear.

She had been murdered though. The police officers had told us themselves and they had also said that 'It was a nasty peice of work'

They had even mentioned the fact that the person who murdered her wasn't an amature...which means that they had done it before.

I'd like to set out, find for myself exactly what happened, and who that girl was. But I can't. I cannot leave father alone. I have to be there to support him, just like he's done for me.

11:59pm

Just one more minute before I turn 14.

11:59:10

Just 50 more seconds to go.

11:59:40

20 more seconds.

10 more...

5...

3...

2...

And then at last, the minute hand struck 12.

I ran to my father's room. He wasn't there. So then I ran to check the kitchen. Upon reaching there, I screamed. Father was lying on the ground. He had a tight rope around his neck. There was blood all around him, a knife lying on his completely still chest.

Wh-what had happened? Why had I not heard anything? To the untrained eye this may look like suicide. But it wasn't. I know it wasn't.

I heard a rustle from outside. I walked over to the window, shaking in fear. And then I saw it.

A figure in a white lacy dress, long black drenched hair, soaked in the red substance...and holding a knife...coated with blood...

It was that girl.