Chapter 4.

I screamed.

She...just wasn't a normal girl...the way she just appears like that... it is unreal.

I turned around swiftly, but I could still feel her lingering presence behind me.

I whipped back but to my absolute relief she had vanished. Again.

"Winter Coleman?" A petite woman, wearing the blue nurse's uniform asked me in a timid voice.

I nodded, trying to remain calm. I wondered if they had any news about father. If they did then what could it be?

She gestured for me to follow her. She walked hastily down the gleaming white corridors. The smell of the hospital made me uncomfortable.

"Well, your father will have to have an operation. Quite several of his bones are broken. Severe internal bleeding -" She said briskly, no emotion evident on her facial features. I gulped. So much damage had been done to him...and it was all because of her...

Well, I assume it was that girl. After all, I saw her with a blood coated knife in the garden. Who else could it have been?

"But - we have arranged for you to visit your father before he goes for his operation. You have 1 hour" She told me.

By now we had reached the door to the ward father was placed in. I hurried inside and sat next to father. His eyes were shut but he was breathing. At least that was a good thing.

I took hold of his hand, hoping that the tears which were threatening to spill wouldn't fall. Otherwise, they wouldn't stop.

I gazed at his face, sleeping soundly. I looked at all the machinery which they had attatched to him. Machines which monitored his heart and as such.

The lights flickered.

I shifted uncomfortably. Maybe it was just faulty wiring.

They flickered again. The light in the room had dimmed considerably.

I tightened my hold on father's hand, as if I was expecting him to jump up and save me. Like that was going to happen now.

The lights went out.

The room was pitched in utter darkness. I could no longer see father, or anything else. I had always been afraid of the dark. Not the dark itself but what lurked within it. And that girl could appear anytime now...she may be behind me this very minute.

I whipped back. Trying to slap her if she was there. But my hand came in contact with thin air.

And then, all of a sudden, I heard a voice. A man's voice. Father's voice.

"She's standing next to the door"