Chapter 8

//TW: descriptions of wounds, canon-typical violence 

Of course this happens when Stiles is in the bathroom! Why should it happen any other time except for when Stiles is teetering on the edge of having a panic attack. He blew up the economics classroom lights and that's probably enough for Odin's Spear to find him. And now the school is in lockdown and Jesus fuck it's probably the witch hunting group and how the hell did they get here that fast? 

Stiles has out his phone and his tapping rapidly at it as he texts Scott.

Stiles: can't you just let me back in? It's not that long of a walk from the bathroom back to class! 

Scott: Coach says you need to wait for a teacher to get out. He says 'it's not safe for you to go out on your own' and that he will kick your ass if he finds you outside of the classroom door without a teacher with you. 

Stiles: Oh my God! 

Stiles: I'm going to call Derek before I freak out in here 

And so he does. Without waiting for a reply from Scott, Stiles leaves the iMessages app and calls Derek. He has to wait mere seconds before the line is picked up and Derek is speaking into Stiles' ear. 

"Stiles, are you okay? I heard the lockdown announcement. You're someplace safe, right? I didn't see who entered the school but it might be Odin's Spear." 

"Man, I don't think I've ever heard you talk so quickly," interrupts Stiles. Although, he doesn't mind the concern that comes from the werewolf's voice. "Let's see, I'm hiding in the unlocked bathroom just after I accidentally blew up the lights in Coach Finstock's room because he mentioned my mom, and I'm pretty damn close to freaking out." 

Stiles runs a hand through his hair. He's standing in front of one of the four mirrors in the bathroom. Staring at his reflecting, he can see the sparks of magic fly from his hand as he moves. His face his a bit pale and honestly, he could pass as being sick. 

"I should've said yes to taking those spell books with me. Maybe then I'd have something. Because right now my mind is drawing a blank. I get these powers and when the time comes for me to use them, I can't!" Stiles distresses. 

Derek's voice is calming when he speaks through the phone again. "Stiles, calm down. The more you freak yourself out, the more challenging it will become to control your powers. Just keep your attention on my voice. It's not your fault that you can't remember the books Deaton made you read. It was a lot of information to take in, in such short amount of time. And you've only known about these abilities for a few days. You're going to make mistakes and that's okay. The lockdown may not even be caused by the Odin's Spear group. There could be a wild dog that maxes it's way inside or something. You'll be found by a teacher in no time, and if not you can wait it out in the bathroom until the lockdown is over. You can get through this." 

Stiles can feel himself slowly relaxing as Derek speaks. For a moment, he gets lost in the sound of Derek's voice, momentarily forgetting where he is and why he's there. This moment ends, however, when Stiles hears footsteps. Panic rushing back to him like a huge wave, Stiles fumbles with his phone. "Someone's coming," he whispers hurriedly, hanging up the phone without saying goodbye. Stiles quickly regrets that decision, realizing that Derek had been the one who calmed him and now with that gone... Plus, if he's to die right now, he wouldn't have gotten the chance to say goodbye to Derek. Or his Dad. Or Scott. Or Lydia. Or anyone, really. 

Fuck. 

Grabbing his stuff and scrambling away from the door, Stiles scampers into the farther stall. He presses himself into the back corner of the largest stall, doing his best to stay out of sight. Practically every move of his is causing a handful of sparks to appear.