Chapter 2

Stiles and Derek stand outside the McCall house. Having just knocked, they're waiting for Scott to answer the door. Mrs McCall, as usual, is working so they can easily use the front door without being questioned as to why the hell Derek Hale is there. 

Moments pass before Scott answers the door. "Hi," he greets them, saying nothing else and opening the darkly painted door so the pair can walk in. Scott leads them  up to his room, because despite the otherwise empty house, being in his bedroom gives off a better sense of privacy than standing out in the kitchen or someplace similar. 

"So," Scott says once they reach his room. He turns to the pair. "What is it that you guys wanted to talk about? The thing that you swear I won't believe?" He asks this with the smallest hint of determination to prove them wrong, that he will believe them, whatever it is. 

Stiles is hesitant to reply. There's the small question in the back of his mind that questions whether Scott will even trust him on this or not. Scott has to believe him, right? 

"I, uh..." Stiles feels Derek's eyes on him. As if the elder is waiting for him to mess up while explaining what happened. "Last night, I woke up and saw like half of my stuff five or so feet off the ground, just floating there. I mean, some of it was moving, going round in circles around me, almost? It was kind of like the law of gravity didn't apply to anything under ten pounds anymore. I sort of freaked out, because seeing that in your room is weird! Even if it's a dream, which it wasn't. I called you, trying to get you over to see it so you could witness it too. But you didn't pick up so I called the next best person. Derek came over, and by that time some of the stuff was moving around quicker, like a tornado of pens, books and papers. There were green swirls too. Almost looked like glowing streamers, I'm not really sure..."

Scott is staring at Stiles. Stiles finally stops, trailing off, suddenly becoming self-conscious and almost embarrassed because that look on Scott's face seems to be an expression of disbelief. "And you're here now because of...?" 

Stiles stutters. This isn't the reaction he had planned for. "Well, it all slowed to a stop and fell when I changed my emotions. Which is weird, because that's like you guys when you're turning and shifting into werewolves. And I wanted to tell you, because it might mean I'm not going to be the only human in the pack anymore! And, you know, I'd hoped that maybe you'd be a bit... excited?"

The young werewolf does not look excited. 

Derek moves his position in Scott's room. He walks over so he's beside Stiles; allowing his arm to brush against the human's figure. Which, in Derek Language, translates to an act of comfort. It's also, though Derek wouldn't dare admit it, partially as a protective move. He can practically smell the disappointment radiating off of Stiles. And either Scott's gone nose blind, or Scott just doesn't care. 

"Alright," says Scott after a minute. "How about I take you to see Deaton? Since Derek doesn't seem to know quite what's going on with you, I'm sure he will. And if there ends up being something wrong with you, he'll also know how to fix it." 

Stiles shuts his mouth tight at that. Scott thinks there might be something wrong with him? Now that... That stings. Stiles feels Derek's hand gently wrap around his forearm. A more straightforward sign of comfort. And also the silent message of 'don't get too upset'. 

"To the Clinic it is, then," agrees Stiles. 

A few minutes later (Scott had to grab his stuff), they're all packed tightly into Stiles' car. Derek is sitting in the back, while Stiles drives and Scott sits next to him. The ride to Beacon Hills Animal Clinic is awkwardly quiet. Scott tries turning on the radio so it wouldn't be as bad, but nothing good happens to be playing so he gives up, the car going back to being silent. Luckily, for Stiles' sake, the Clinic is only about ten minutes from the McCall house.

The Clinic, which opens at 7:00 in the morning and it's around 8:00, already has two cars parked in the parking lot. One of which is Doctor Alan Deaton, the other is likely a patient. Stiles parks his car near the entrance of the small building and gets out, Scott mirroring his actions on the opposite side. Derek climbs out the driver's seat side and gives Stiles a look. Which is Derek for 'are you alright?' In response, Stiles nods wordlessly. He doesn't need Derek to know how much Scott's reaction got to him. Not that Derek doesn't already know. 

Walking into the waiting room, it's clear from Deaton's absence at the reception desk that the veterinarian is busy with a patient. So Scott, Derek and Stiles wait out in the front; resulting in another few minutes of awkward silence in which the elder werewolf stands a bit too close to Stiles (who absolutely does not mind). 

Dr Deaton walks out beside a middle aged woman who's carrying a small cat, some time later. He looks at the trio of boys, a bit surprised to see them there. However, he quickly hides the confusion from his face and says, "boys! Good, you're here just in time for your shift. Why don't you head into the back, while I finish up with Mrs Murdock here. I will join you in a bit." 

Knowing they should play along, the trio all nod and head into the back of the Clinic. Even Stiles can hear the casual conversation Deaton has with Mrs Murdock. The thin walls and small building allow the trio to, although unwillingly, hear the entire talk with Deaton giving the woman her cat's prescription and all. They even know when she's gone out the door.

With that handled, Deaton walks to the back. "Since Scott doesn't have to work until 5,  I'm going to assume that you three need my help with something superna—" the vet cuts himself off, his eyes finally landing on Stiles. "Oh, yes. I was wondering whether or not this would happen." Deaton hums to himself, thoughtfully. 

Stiles gapes at Deaton. "You can tell? Do you know what's going on?" 

"I'm a Druid, boy, of course I can tell," Deaton replies. "And yes, I know exactly what's going on." There's a small pause, as if Deaton doesn't know if he should be saying this or not. "I don't believe I've mentioned this, but I knew your mother quite well. Before she got sick, that is. Claudia Gajos was born into a family of magic users. Their- well, your- blood has magic in it and is one of the few bloodlines left that have such power. But, I'm afraid not everyone had the ability to use magic. And it was more common in the females than the males, so I wasn't quite sure if you would show the traits or not. And I neglected to mention it before, because I doubted that you would want to be told that you have magical blood but cannot use magic yourself. Which, as I'm sure you've learned, isn't true." 

Stiles' jaw practically hits the floor. "Hold on, hold on. I need a second to process." He holds up a finger to stop anyone else from talking while this information sinks in. "You pretty much just knocked down the door and went 'yerr a wizard, Stiles'. Which, you'd make a great Hagrid, by the way. Wait— do I have to go to school to learn how to control my magic? I wonder if my dad will allow me to go to Ilvermorny. Though, I think I'd rather Hogwarts."

Deaton lets him finish before speaking again. "One, I'm taking that as a compliment—" 

"It is."

"—And two, no you won't be going off to a wizarding school. It'll be better if I end up being the one to teach you to control your magic. Although, as a Druid, I'm not sure how much I can teach you rather than advise you. The Gajos family has quite a reputation for having powerful mages in the family. I have no doubt that you will be the same." 

Stiles grins. "Awesome!" 

—~~—~~—

"Did you find it?" 

"No, no sign of Gajos anywhere. Et tu?" 

"Yeah, I found her. Found her gravestone. It looks like someone already got to her first." 

"Well fuck, what are we going to tell the Boss?" 

"I never said anything about going back just yet. Her gravestone. There was another last name on it. And the words 'loving wife and mother'. She had herself a child." 

"Great, what's the other last name?" 

"Stilinski." 

—~~—~~—

For book purposes, Stiles is 18.