Chapter 5

"When has there ever been a murder at the high school we go to that doesn't involve something supernatural? Anything and everything bad that happens to this town probably involves us. The police probably only have one section of the school cut off so they can look for evidence. But there might be something elsewhere in the building!" 

"I don't know about this, Scott. What if the police ARE looking through the entire school by the time we get there? What if we get caught?" 

Scott looks annoyed. "We won't get caught! C'mon, Allison, back me up here." 

He, Allison, Lydia and Jackson are all piled into Lydia's car. They barely fit, but they make it work. Scott and Allison are in the back row while Lydia drives with Jackson next to her. They have just left the Clinic. Scott had called Allison, who had been studying with Lydia at the time, and asked them to pick him up. Having mentioned going to look at the high school, Scott suggested picking up Jackson on the way too. 

When asked about why he was being picked up from the Clinic and why Stiles' jeep is there, Scott just said that it wasn't really anything to worry about and they should just get going. So now here they are, arguing in Lydia's car about how much of the school they should search, if any.

"I think," Allison says, "that since we're already all gathered up here, we should check out the school. But we'll have to be careful to stay away from the police. We've been caught enough times sneaking around, there's only so many more chances Sheriff Stilinski will give us." 

Lydia nods her head. "I agree." 

Rolling his eyes, Jackson huffs. "Fine, but if we're caught and get into trouble, it's at Scott's fault." 

The direction they're going in is changed as Lydia turns a corner. It's a few minutes late that the group of four high school students arrive. Lydia pulls into the back, where the bunch of police cars are not and parks. Everyone gets out, walking over to the door while keeping an eye out for any roaming cops. The doors, which Allison points out are likely unlocked for the police, open easily, allowing the group to slip inside. 

Most of the lights are on, but the halls are creepily empty. It's so different from the usual school days. Had someone not gotten killed, these halls would be filled with students trying to get to their lunch. 

Everyone looks around at the empty hallways. No matter how many times they see it, it will never get weird. To hear silence instead of heels of teachers clicking on the floor, hallways away from you. To look into classrooms and no see teachers standing up at the front lecturing their students. It's so strange. The absence of life in a high school will never not be a weird thing. 

"So what are w looking for?" Lydia asks, looking through the door of an empty classroom. 

Scott gives a shrug. "Anything. Fur, claw marks, scales, tracks, runes. Anything  that would give us a hint to whether or not this was a supernatural attack."

"A rune like this?" Jackson's voice comes from a bit more down the hall. 

The other three teens have to walk a few paces to get close enough to Jackson and see what he's pointing out. What he's found in a mark. It's pen ink on a door. The mark, whatever it is, looks like a rhombus with an X dashed over it. 

"This isn't a rune," Lydia remarks, like it's an obvious thing. Which to the other three, it's not. "This is a Norse symbol. It means Gungnir. You know, the Spear of Odin!" 

Allison pauses, a confused expression on her face like she's trying to remember something. "The Spear of Odin..." And then she remembers, snapping her fingers once to celebrate the small victory. "My father mentioned a group of hunters who call themselves Odin's Spear. Except they aren't regular monster hunters. They only target powerful witches, warlocks and Druids. Maybe they're here for Doctor Deaton. Though they don't usually attack unless given a reason. Did Deaton cast any really powerful spells that would've put him on their radar?" Allison looks to Scott for a reason as to why Deaton would be the target. 

Realization hits Scott pretty damn hard. And yet he hides it. It's not his place to be telling everyone about Stiles' magic, that's Stiles' job. "I can't think of any reason why they'd be after Deaton. He doesn't usually do big huge spells unless he can help it. There must be someone else they're after. Maybe someone moved here who's actually a Druid or something. Maybe the one murdered was a Druid, maybe the Odin's Spear group or whatever is gone by now." 

Around five o'clock, Scott returns to the clinic for his job's shift. He hasn't messaged Stiles about Odin's Spear, because they don't have enough evidence yet to say that it even was a group of witch hunters; Scott has been planning to tell him either after his shift if Stiles is gone, or before is Stiles is still there. 

And when he enters the Clinic and goes to the back, he sees that Stiles is definitely still there. Stiles is reading a big book and whispering things to himself as he does. Derek is sitting in one of the chairs, just minding his own buisness and being moral support. Stiles doesn't look up at Scott when the werewolf enters. 

"Scott! Right on time, good. Can you start by re-stocking the medicine in the back?" Deaton requests, once he notices that his employee has arrived. 

The young werewolf hesitates to move. "Actually, I, uh... Lydia, Jackson, Allison and I went to the school and we found a mark that we are guessing is from Odin's Spear, the magical beings hunting group, and I thought I should just warn you that they're around and to be careful..." 

Deaton looks almost touch. "Thanks for the heads up, Scott. But Odin's Spear and I already have a truce. I keep my job as a veterinarian and pretend to be human, and if they ever come around, they don't try to kill me." 

"Should I be worried that I don't have that agreement?" Asks Stiles, looking up from the book he's been studying. 

"I would suggest trying to only do magic when around me or at the Clinic, but I don't think they're much of a threat to you," Deaton replies calmly. 

Stiles nods before turning to his best friend. "Hey, Scott?" 

Scott doesn't reply, pretending to have not heard Stiles as he starts to walk off toward the back so he can start on re-stocking the medicine. Stiles quickly gets up, following behind him. 

"Hey! What's up with you, man?" Stiles asks, grabbing Scott's shoulder and forcing the werewolf to look at him. "I mean, come on, you could've at least texted. 'Hey we think we've found a group of witch hunters who might be after you!'"

Scott doesn't look him in the eyes. "I just don't want you to get hurt." 

"Why? Because I'm a human? Because you think I'm weak? I am always being pushed aside during fights, being told to run off and hide in a corner so I don't get hurt. And constantly, I'm thrown under the bus. Detention, and being the only one left at a scene while everyone else disappears. All so everyone else can make it out. Everyone else is important. It seemed like it was everyone but me. I had no powers, no claws, no family history of being badasses, I had nothing! And finally, after so long, I don't have to be the weak human you think I am! I can fight beside everyone else. Why don't you get that??"

There's silence from Scott. 

"Stiles." It's Derek's voice, and suddenly there's a firm hand on Stiles' shoulder. "Stiles, look at your hands." 

Stiles looks down, like Derek told him to, at his hands. Both of his hands are entirely surrounded by blazing green fire. And yet he feels no heat, no pain, from them. Stiles takes a moment, breathing slowly, trying to get his new powers back under control. It takes around a minute for the flames to die down and disappear. He looks back at Derek, but sees that Derek is looking elsewhere. 

"What is it, Deaton?" Derek asks the vet. 

"Those flames were conjured subconsciously. He didn't mutter a spell, didn't think it, he didn't even realize it happened," Deaton states slowly, like he's cautious of something bad happening. "Levitating objects while asleep is a difficult thing to do and takes lots of power; which can easily be explained because of Stiles' blood. But the ability to summon fire without even knowing it, it's practically unheard of it takes so much power." 

Deaton pauses. 

He then speaks directly to Stiles. "Your magic is strong. Very strong. That means two things. It'll be very difficult for you to completely master controlling your powers. And highly possible for Odin's Spear to have you as a target soon, if not already."