Chapter 5

After Tori got her drink from the vending machine, she bumped into someone which caused her to fall to the ground. "Ow..."

"U-Uh! I-I'm sorry! Are you hurt?" She heard a gentle, panicking voice above her.

She glanced up at the person and saw a guy with brown hair and a beard looking down at her with worriedness all over his eyes.

She smiled at him reassuringly. "It's okay! I wasn't looking at where I was going either!"

The guy suddenly turned teary, making Tori flinch. "Um... Are you okay?"

"Sorry about that... It's just that everyone has been scared of me because of my looks... You are the first one who did not get scared..."

She tilted her head in confusion. "Really? You don't look scary at all to me!"

The guy looked happy as he introduced himself. "I'm Azumane Asahi, year 3."

"I'm Oikawa Tori from year 1! Nice to meet you, senpai!"

After their introduction, they decided to hang out for a while together. As they began to get to know each other and feel comfortable, Azumane began to talk to her about his problem. He told her about what happened in the volleyball club.

Tori listened to him and tried to reassure him that he should continue volleyball since he enjoys it. His teammates will always have his back, so he doesn't have to feel burdened. "Someone once told me that volleyball isn't an individual game. Just because one person is strong doesn't make the whole team strong. The stronger team is when all six of them are together, having each other's back."

Her words seemed to make him think about his decision as he thanked her. Then they continued to chat until they heard the bell ring. 

• • •

Takeda sensei introduced the volleyball club to their temporary coach, Ukai Keishin, grandson of Coach Ukai. Apparently, he was coaching them until the practice match with Nekoma. As they were training, Kageyama was practicing his serves. When he served the ball, it was about to hit the specific spot he aimed for until someone ran and received the ball smoothly. 

"Woah! That was such an amazing receive!" Tori yelled in amazement.

"It's cool, right?!" The guy who received the ball said proudly.

"It is! Are you also part of the volleyball club?"

"I'm Nishinoya Yuu, the libero! I'm in my second year!" He said with a nod.

"I'm Oikawa Tori!" She introduced herself as well. "That explains that receive a while ago! You're so amazing, senpai!"

"S-Senpai?!"

"Eh?" When Tori was confused by his reaction, he grabbed her hand.

"Do you want ice cream?!"

Tori continued to stay in her confused state, not knowing how the conversation ended up here until Sawamura stopped him. Nishinoya then looked around. "Where's Asahi-san?"

Suga looked troubled by his question. "Well, he did not come back since then."

Nishinoya got angry at his words. He was about to yell something when someone else entered the gym. Everyone turned their attention to the entrance to see Azumane.

"Azumane senpai! You came!" Tori said excitedly as she ran towards him.

Azumane sheepishly nodded as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Eh? Tori, how do you know him?" Suga asked as he looked at both of them in confusion.

"Oh, I bumped into him during lunch and we got to know each other!" She explained before turning back to Azumane. "Senpai, are you going to join the volleyball club again? Do I get to see you play?!"

He nodded. "Yeah, I thought about what you said. I will try to overcome the obstacle with my teammates."

"That's the spirit!" Tori yelled in happiness.

Unknown to her and everyone else, Kageyama was feeling something bubbling inside him as he saw her smile excitedly at someone else about their volleyball. He didn't know what it was, so he just brushed it off.

Coach Ukai then settled them down and arranged a practice match among the team, including some of his friends.

• • •

Most of the people present were teasing Kageyama and Nishinoya regarding what they said to their partners. Tori joined in, but she could tell how much their words affected Hinata and Azumane. Those were the words they needed to hear to move forward.

"Tobio, I can't believe you said that!" Tori laughed as she walked towards the gates with Kageyama.

Kageyama blushed. "Stop mentioning it!"

Tori continued to laugh in glee until she was interrupted by a familiar voice calling out to her. "Tori!"

She turned towards the source to see her brother waving at her. "Nii-chan?"

"I thought I will pick you up since it's late! Also, Iwa-chan is waiting for us at home!" Oikawa said with a smile.

Tori sighed. "Tobio, guess I can't walk with you today."

She was about to walk off to her brother when Kageyama grabbed her arms tightly.

"Tobio?" She asked in confusion.

Kageyama seemed startled and shook his head as he let go of her arms. He didn't know why he did that. All he knew was that it felt like Tori was being stolen away from him when Oikawa was her brother.

Tori gave him a concerned look as she hesitantly turned away from him. "Bye, Tobio. See you tomorrow!"