The Mark of Athena (Part 1)

Camp Jupiter, California

Percy made his way to the forum with his arms slung around Frank and Hazel's shoulders, his heart beating faster than usual. Annabeth Chase was here. She'd made it. He was about to see her again.

A sea of hastily assembled demigods parted for Annabeth and her crew as they walked through the forum. Percy couldn't see her yet. Some of the legionnaires looked tense, some nervous. Some were bandaged from their recent battle with the giants, but no one was armed. No one attacked.

Entire families had gathered to see the newcomers. Percy saw couples with babies, toddlers clinging to their parents' legs, even some elderly folks in a combination of Roman robes and modern clothes. It was still hard for Percy to believe that there were so many demigods here, living relatively normal lives and growing to old ages. At Camp Half-Blood, the belief was you'd be lucky to live to twenty-five.

The legionnaires made way for Reyna, and Percy trailed behind her. Finally, he saw Annabeth.

Percy couldn't stop smiling. She looked good—a bit taller, her hair longer, her eyes brighter. She was so beautiful, it made Percy's heart hurt. Her gray eyes were as intelligent as he remembered, shining with that gleam he knew meant she was thinking hard. It had annoyed him at first, but eventually he'd come to love it—since it usually meant she was coming up with a plan that would save the day.

She looked a little tense, which didn't surprise Percy. She was in the middle of a heavily fortified Roman camp that she knew little about, even if she'd had Jason to give her some idea about it. Percy assumed the tall boy with blonde hair wearing a toga and purple praetor's cape over an orange Camp Half-Blood shirt next to Annabeth was the infamous Jason Grace he'd heard so much about. The Romans were staring at him in awe, murmuring his name.

Percy couldn't describe how stunned he was to see Annabeth again. It had been maddening to wake up in the Wolf House remembering nothing but his and her name. Before he remembered who she really was, he'd hated disobeying her and leaving Camp Jupiter to go on the quest to Alaska. But now that he had his full memory back, he knew she would be proud of him anyway. Besides, she was here now, and that was all that mattered.

Reyna straightened and, with apparent reluctance, turned toward Jason.

"Jason Grace, my former colleague . . ." She spoke the word colleague like it was a dangerous thing. "I welcome you home. And these, your friends—"

Percy didn't mean to, but he surged forward. Annabeth rushed toward him at the same time. The crowd tensed. Some reached for swords that weren't there.

Percy threw his arms around Annabeth. They kissed, and for a moment, nothing else mattered. An asteroid could have hit the planet and wiped out all life, and Percy wouldn't have cared.

Annabeth smelled of lemon and coconut. Her lips were soft and warm.

Wise Girl, he thought giddily.

He didn't want to, but he pulled away and studied her face. "Gods, I never thought—"

Annabeth grabbed his wrist and flipped him over shoulder. He slammed into the stone pavement. Romans cried out. Some surged forward, but Reyna shouted, "Hold! Stand down!"

Annabeth put her knee on Percy's chest. She pushed her forearm against his throat. Percy could tell she was close to tears—but only because he'd known her so long. To anyone who didn't know her, she looked angry.

"If you ever leave me again," she said, "I swear to all the gods—"

Percy had to laugh at something so completely Annabeth Chase. He felt like he'd never been happier.