The Mark of Athena (Part 9)

Arachne's Lair, Rome, Italy

Percy had never been so happy to indulge Coach Hedge's destructive tendencies. Coach Hedge's shot was a thing of beauty—right through the parking lot and down into a huge cavern Percy doubted the local Romans knew anything about. Dust and smoke made it hard to see anything down there, but that didn't stop him from shouting, "Annabeth!"

He couldn't describe the wave of relief he felt when he heard her call back, "Here!"

The Argo II continued descending and Percy leaned against the railing. Once they were close enough and the dust had cleared, Percy spotted her sitting down in the cavern. She was pale, bloody, and covered in cobwebs, but Percy thought she had never looked more beautiful. He smiled at her, anxious to get down there.

The ship stopped about forty feet from the floor and dropped the rope ladder. No one got in Percy's way as he was the first one down. He found Annabeth standing by a huge hole leading deeper down than the light could reach, staring blankly into it. It felt . . . cold, and evil. Wrong. But also—familiar.

Percy laced his fingers through Annabeth's. He gently turned her away from the pit and wrapped his arms around her. She buried her face in his chest and broke down in tears, which made something ache inside Percy's chest.

"It's okay," he said. "We're together."

We're together, he kept telling himself, drinking in her presence. He studied the cavern now that he knew Annabeth was safe. The giant statue of her mother was intimidating. It definitely gave off a powerful aura. Percy didn't know what it could do, but he knew it was important.

Their friends gathered around them. Annabeth barely noticed Nico.

"Your leg." Piper knelt next to Annabeth and examined her Bubble Wrap cast. "Oh, Annabeth, what happened?"

Annabeth began to explain about the shrine to Mithras, crossing the chasm using cat's cradle, and tricking Arachne. Every time she paused or seemed about to break down, Percy squeezed her hand and gave her a smile. He didn't let go of her hand the whole time. With each word, his awe, respect, and love for her grew. When she finished, everyone's faces were slack with amazement.

"Gods of Olympus," Jason said. "You did all that alone. With a broken ankle."

"Well . . . some of it with a broken ankle."

Percy grinned. That's my girl. "You made Arachne weave her own trap? I knew you were good, but Holy Hera—Annabeth, you did it. Generations of Athena kids tried and failed. You found the Athena Parthenos!"

Everyone gazed at the statue.

"What do we do with her?" Frank asked. "She's huge."

"We'll have to take her with us to Greece," Annabeth said. "The statue is powerful. Something about it will help us stop the giants."

"The giants' bane stands gold and pale," Hazel quoted. "Won with pain from a woven jail." She looked at Annabeth with admiration. "It was Arachne's jail. You tricked her into weaving it."

Leo raised his hands. He made a finger picture frame around the Athena Parthenos like he was taking measurements. "Well, it might take some rearranging, but I think we can fit her through the bay doors in the stable. If she sticks out the end, I might have to wrap a flag around her feet or something."

Annabeth shuddered, then said, "What about you guys? What happened with the giants?"

Percy gave her the rundown: rescuing Nico, Bacchus' appearance, fighting the twins in the Colosseum. He explained what Nico found out about the Doors of Death, and how they had to be closed on both sides.