The Mark of Athena (Part 7)

The nymphaeum, Rome, Italy

The basin filled with alarming speed. Percy, Piper, and Jason pounded on the walls, looking for an exit, but they found nothing. They climbed into the alcoves to gain some height, but with water pouring out of each niche, it was like trying to balance at the edge of a waterfall. Even as Percy stood in a niche, the water was soon close to his knees. From the floor, it was probably eight feet deep and rising fast.

"I could try lightning," Jason said. "Maybe blast a hole in the roof?"

"That could bring down the whole room and crush us," Piper said.

"Or electrocute us," Percy added.

"Not many choices," Jason said.

"Let me search the bottom," Percy said. "If this place was built as a fountain, there has to be a way to drain the thing. You guys, check the niches for secret exits. Maybe the seashells are knobs, or something." It was a desperate idea, but Percy couldn't think of anything else.

Percy jumped in the water. It was hard to see in the dark water, even with Percy's abilities. By habit, he held his breath as he swam, searching for the bottom. It was deeper than he'd expected. The water felt strange around him—cold, poisonous, evil. When he couldn't hold his breath any longer, he opened his mouth and water rushed in.

And Percy choked.

The feeling of water filling his lungs was like nothing Percy had ever felt before, a million times worse than the muskeg. It was his worst fear come true—Percy was drowning in the water. And just like in Alaska, the Curse of Achilles did nothing to help him.

What would Annabeth think when she learned Percy died by drowning? Would she even make it back from her quest?

His thoughts were spiraling. He'd never been this afraid in his life. This was water—this was his strength, his bread-and-butter, his no-brainer. He should have been unstoppable. Percy should have been able to swim to the bottom easily, find the drain, and save the day. Instead, he was drowning.

Percy kicked upward and couldn't seem to break the surface fast enough. When he finally did, he gasped and flailed desperately, coughing up water and frantically trying to stay afloat. In one of the niches, Piper offered him her hand, and he almost pulled her in before she could help him up.

"Couldn't breathe," he choked. "The water . . . not normal. Hardly made it back." Percy was too freaked out to try to appear calm in front of Piper and Jason.

The water continued to rise around them, and Percy felt worse and worse. He was completely drenched and shivering, still coughing up water. He moved slowly. He felt weak.

Piper was trembling, and her hands turned wrinkled and dry, despite being in the middle of a fountain. Jason moved sluggishly. His face was pale and he seemed to be having trouble holding his sword.

"They're taking our power," Piper said. "Draining us."

Did that mean they'd be able to take the Curse of Achilles? For a moment, Percy wanted them to. And then he thought that whatever they'd do with that power wouldn't be good. He would have to bear this curse a little longer—assuming they could get out of this.

"Jason," Percy coughed, "do the lightning."

Jason raised his sword. The room rumbled, but no lightning appeared. The roof didn't break. Instead, a miniature rainstorm formed at the top of the chamber. Rain poured down, filling the fountain even faster, but it wasn't normal rain. The stuff was just as dark as the water in the pool. Every drop stung Percy's skin.