Chapter 46

Kiara pulls her car into the parking lot of the police station. Her headlights light up the whole lot. I sat in the back, leaning my head against JJ's shoulder. His hand rested on my thigh, my own on top of his.

"John B, what are we doing at the police station?" JJ questions, looking at the building.

"Somebody's gotta tell them what happened." John B explains.

"It's okay." I tell JJ. "They should know they lost one of their own."

Pope cuts off my thought, coughing wildly as he pulls the joint away from his face. His body jerks as he chokes on the smoke, shaking the whole car.

"Can you cover that, at least?" I ask, cringing.

"Woah, easy there, chief." JJ warns. "Damn." He leans into the seat in front of, getting closer to John B. The brunet still stared blankly in front of him, the shock still not leaving his body.

"You okay, John B?" I ask him, reaching out to touch his shoulder. He nods, still looking forward.

"All right. I'm just gonna be real with you right now. You might end up in the lion's den, but you don't go there in purpose. It's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me, you should never trust cops, no matter what the circumstance is."

"I hate to break it to you, J. But that's probably not the best example." I speak up.

"Your old man's an abusive liar." Kie adds.

"I agree with JJ." Pope says. "Fuck the police."

"You goin' to the dark side now?" Kie questions.

"When's the last time police ever helped us?" Pope challenges.

"Peterkin looked out for me, all right? Tried to, at least. They need to know."

"It's okay, John B. Go." I give his shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

John B opens the car door, climbing out of the back seat. I watch as he disappears inside the building.

"How do you do that?" Kiara asks, turning to look at me.

"What do you mean?"

"Get people to talk when they're being all..."

"Dark and broody." Pope finishes her sentence.

"That's how I used to talk to my brother."

"Brother?" Kiara asks.

"He died. When he would get really high, sometimes he would get like that. That's how I could get him to talk to me, to listen to me."

JJ wraps an arm around my waist, comforting me as I shared my brother's troubles with more people.

"Can I ask how he died?" Kie asks.

"OD."

"I'm really sorry, Franklin."

"It's okay."

"Kie! Start the car!" I turn around to see a flash of John B's pink jacket as he runs toward the car. "Start the car!"

I jump when he slams into the car door, yanking it open. He scrambled into the back, climbing in quickly.

"What? John B?" Kie says confused. "What did you do?

"Cops!" John B yells.

"Shit, go!"

"Kie, drive!"

"Kie, we gotta go!" I call out to her.

"Stop the car!" A new voice yells. I turn around to see a deputy chasing after the car. He runs frantically, trying to catch the vehicle. "Right now!"

"I'm going! I'm sorry!" Kie yells frantic.

"Go, Kie, go! John B rushes.

"What did you do!" Kie yells at the boy again.

"Open it." Pope motions to the car door.

John B opens his door, slamming into the front side of the cop. The cop grunts loudly on impact before dropping to the ground.

"What the fuck?" I pant, adrenaline pumping through my veins. "What the hell was that?"

***

I sat in between JJ and John B on the middle of the backseat. I leaned against JJ with my right arm wrapped across his chest and over his shoulder.

The radio broadcast played quietly from the car radios. He spoke about the recovery of the power to Kildare.

I feel JJ jump underneath me when the sound of sirens ring out louder than the radio. I groan, still half asleep, moving away from the boy as he sits up, looking around frantically.

"Sorry, princess." He mumbles.

Two police cars fly by, down the street in front of us. We all lay back down lower, hoping the shed we had parked in concealed the car well enough.

I glance over at John B when the broadcaster begins speaking of the shooting of Sheriff Peterkin. I knew it was still a fresh, gaping wound for the boy. I grabbed his hand, in a comforting manner. Kiara leans forward, turning off the radio in one Swift motion.

"Let's game this out." JJ speaks up. "Maybe you guys can help, being the smart one's and all, but..." JJ lets out a long sigh. "Who are the cops gonna believe? Ward Cameron or us? So the accuser is a big shot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused... is John B. Who is... pretty much a homeless 16-year-old boy at the moment."

"Thanks." John B retorts.

"Ouch, J." I cringe.

"Shit." Pope mumbles.

"Okay, man. Yucatán, all right? I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?"

"Enough with the Mexico bullshit. Sarah will bail me out."

"She did witness the whole thing." Kie points out.

"Thank you." John B says to the girl.

"And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" Pope questions.

"You wouldn't?" I ask. "The guy's a fucking psychopath."

"Not happening, bro, okay? We've gotta get you off the island." JJ announces.

"The ferry." Pope says. "It's the only way.

"Yeah, exit stage left while you still can. Before the entire island is on lockdown."

"Guy," Kiara interrupts. "Just get down."

We all slump down a little more.

"Sarah's not a Pogue, John B." Pope informs the boy.

"Yeah, you can't stay here, man." JJ agrees.