Chapter 18

I peer out the window, peeking around John B. Two large men get out of a car and head toward the house.

"Who are they?" I question, looking up at John B.

"Guys, guys, is that them?" Kie asks panicked.

Panic builds in my chest by Kiara's fear in her voice. "Who?" I ask, my voice wavering.

"No." JJ answers Kiara's question before turning to me. "The guys we were talking about outside."

"Is that them?" Kiara asks again.

"This is suboptimal." Pope retorts.

JJ shakes his head, stepping away from the window. "John B, I told you, man. Why does it always—"

"JJ! Hey, look at me." John B pushes JJ up against the office door with a loud bang. He points his finger in JJ's face. "Where's the gun?"

"Gun? I uh, I can't—"

"Now you don't have the gun, the one time we need the gun?" Kiara snaps.

"It was in my backpack, and then I—"

"Backpack—" John B says in realization. "On the porch."

"It's on the porch."

"Go, go." John B instructs, stepping back from the blonde.

JJ whips around, flinging the door open as he rushes to get the gun.

"John Routledge!" A gruff voice calls out.

"Guys." Kie sobs.

JJ rushes back into the office, slamming the door. I watch with wide eyes, realizing the guys were on the porch. They were this close to getting to us.

"Oh my god, what do we do?" I stammer.

"Come on out now!" The other guy yells.

"Where's the gun?" John B demands in a whisper.

"They're on the front porch, guys." JJ whispers.

"Get out here!" I flinch at the man's booming voice. "Routledge! Where you at boy?"

"We gotta leave." Kie rushes out. "Guys, window, window."

Pope and JJ rush over to the window. They grip at the bottom of it, trying to pull it open.

"Hurry!" I whisper fearfully. JJ glances back at me, his stressed expression softening when he sees the alarm on my face. He turns back to the window.

"What- what's happening? Why is it taking so long?" Kiara pressures the two boys.

"It's painted shut, okay?" JJ snaps at her.

"Routledge!" The gruff voice calls out again.

I glance back at John B. He stands in front of the door with his hands on his head. He shakes his head. I couldn't tell what emotion he was feeling at the moment. Fear? Sadness? Anger? Stress?

I turn back around to the rest of the crew when I hear Kiara whispering frantically.

"Okay, guys. Guys. Here I got it." Kiara rushes over to them with a letter opener.

"Where the hell is that compass?"

"Check the back room!"

"Oh god." Terror was evident in my voice. JJ glances back at me again as Pope rushes over to help John B hold the door closed.

"Franklin?" I look over at him. "Frank eyes on me. Focus on me. We're gonna get out of here." I nod at him, connecting my eyes with his own. He steps toward me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. I grip onto his button up.

Kiara frantically rips through the paint surrounding the window.

"Hurry up!" JJ urges.

"I'm going as fast as I can!" Kie responds.

"You better not be in there!"

The door starts cracking as the men try to ram it open. The wood splinters as their boot connects with the door. Pope and John B rush away from the door as it starts to smack against the frame.

A gun shot rings out. A loud gasp escapes my lips as tears well up in my eyes. I tighten my grip on JJ's shirt subconsciously.

Kiara suddenly gets the window. She almost throws herself out the window she climbs out so fast.

"Go, Franklin." JJ whispers letting go of me.

I climb out the window with the help of JJ. The boys climb out one after one behind me.

"Where do we go?" Pope questions frantically. We all turn around, looking for somewhere to hide. I glance back at the chicken coop. My heart drops slightly as I realize that was probably our best option.

"Guys.." I look over at the chicken coop.

"Okay, go, go." John B ushers us over to the coop.

We crawl into the coop, concealing ourselves from the guys. My heart pounds in my chest with fear, hands shaking. I could feel my breath going ragged like it had last time.

The rooster let's out a loud crow, making me jump. I put my head down between my knees, trying to calm myself down. My breathing relaxed a little, allowing me to get a deep breath to fill my lungs.

"Do something, Pope. Shut him up." JJ demands.

"What do you want me to do?" Pope probed.

"Pet it, or talk to it. I don't know." Kie answers desperately. She sobs, horrified.

"You do something." Pope snaps.

JJ chases down the chicken, catching it against the ground. He hesitates a moment before snapping its neck. Crimson liquid spreads across his palms. I notice the blond staring at his shaking hands, the blood dripping from his fingertips.

"Hey." I grab his shoulder, pulling him back into the seat next to me. JJ looks at me with wide eyes, shame written all over his face. I reach up to cup his cheek, looking into his sad, pale blue eyes. "It's okay. J."

Kie sobs on the other side of me. I look over at her, she glances back at me. I hesitantly take her hand, trying to ease her sadness. Her grip tightens in mine as she continues to cry.

I feel relief flood my body when I hear the vehicle crunching against the gravel road.