Chapter 36

"So, they keep money out here?" Pope questions, looking outside.

We were on the cut side of the island with the old houses. Greenery had taken over many of the properties, leaving the place looking like a big mess.

"That's what she said." JJ tells Pope before giggling at himself. "That's what she said."

"Stop." Pope barks.

"I've never even heard of Resurrection Drive." Sarah announces from the passenger seat.

"'Cause you're rich." JJ retorts.

"I know for a fact you've never heard of it either, J." I speak up.

"Thank you." Sarah emphasizes.

Kie looks past me, looking out the window over my shoulder. "There's nothing but weeds back here."

"Alright, just because it's just weeds, doesn't mean it's just..." JJ is cut off when a siren erupts from behind us.

Kiara and Pope whirl around, eyeing the cop car behind us. "Cops? Out here?"

"God! Are you kidding me?" JJ shouts in frustration.

"What did we do?" Sarah questions.

"Why are we getting pulled over?" Pope asks.

John B whirls around, looking at JJ. "Stash that." He says pointing at the gold.

"Chill, guys." Kiara instructs them.

"I hate cops." JJ mumbles.

"Did you bring the gun?" John B asks the blonde as he stuffs the gold into his bag.

"No. Okay? Everybody told me to leave it back at the place."

"Thank god!" Kie says dramatically.

"J, everything needs to go in your bag." I inform him as we both move to put things in it.

"Please!" Kiara says.

"I am! I am, all right?" JJ stresses.

"How much weed do you have on you, bro?" Kiara asks loudly.

"Wow, Kiara. Can you say that louder, please? I don't think the cop heard you." I snap as we shove more stuff in the bag, earning a death glare from the girl.

"He's walking up, bro." Pope announces.

The chilling noise of a gun cocking makes all of us freeze in place. John B turns to look straight down the barrel of a large gun, held by a man in a mask.

A loud gasp escapes my lips as I grab onto JJ's bicep. He uses his hand of the arm I was holding to nudge me behind him. He keeps his hand on my side.

"Why don't I go ahead and see them hands up in the air, right now?" The man demands. When we don't make a move he snaps. "All y'all's hands up in the air, now! You, out of the car, let's go!" He yells at John B. John B slowly climbs out of the car with his hands in the air. "Out of the car! Let's go! Hurry! Let them out! What are you waitin' on? Let them out!"

My heart pounds in my chest as I watch John B make his way over to our door. He opens the door slowly, revealing all of us to the man with the gun. My grip on JJ's are tightens.

"All of y'all! Go on! Go on! Let's get out of the car! Let's go!"

Sarah climbs out first. "There you go, pretty girl!"

JJ climbs out next. "We're broke—"

"Shut up! Shut the hell up!" The man roars, shoving the tip of the gun in JJ's face.