Chapter 31

I took JJ's bike down to the station later that afternoon. Roni comes out of the station just as I pull up.

"Roni!" I call out to her. I jog over to her, pulling the helmet off my head. "Where is he?"

"He just left with his dad. Franklin, I don't think it's gonna be good. I did everything I could. I got his restitution lowered but it's still a lot more then they can afford."

"Shit."

"There's more." Roni tells me.

"It doesn't have to do with him. There was a double homicide. I heard about it when I was in there. Your dad called asking where we were. He wants us home right away."

"Roni, I have to go see him."

"Not today, baby. I'm sorry." I release a shaky sigh, blinking any nervous tears away. I shake my head at a loss. "Franklin." I look up at Roni. "Promise me you will drive that bike straight home."

"I will, okay?"

"Good."

I turn back toward the bike, sliding the helmet back onto my head. I start the bike before taking off toward my house.

I open the front door, stepping inside. Roni right behind me. My dad walks into the foyer, a stern look on his face.

"Where the hell have you been?" He demands.

"With my friends, Dad! JJ was arrested." I answer seriously. "They needed me."

"Tom, we were fine." Roni tries to cut in.

"Did you know there was a double homicide?" My dad asks ignoring us.

"Yes, Tom." Roni reassures.

"Why are you so reckless?" My dad asks turning to me. "Ever since you've been here it's been nothing but trouble with you and this Pogue boy."

"Don't." I snap. "JJ is not some Pogue boy or whatever. He's my best friend."

"You can't leave this house until further notice." My dad states.

"What?" I demand.

"No, Franklin."

"What the fuck, Dad?"

"You watch your mouth! I'm your father, and I expect respect from you. Do you understand me? You're unreliable, you make irrational decisions based on what?"

"I know what I'm doing. You can't expect me to stop helping my friends because you want me to."

"Go to your room!" My dad finally yells.

"Go to hell." I spit before running up the stairs.

I storm up the stairs and run into my bedroom. I slam the door, making sure it was as loud as possible.

I let out a sigh, laying across my bed on my back. I could feel tears burning in my eyes but I blink them away harshly. I was so frustrated but I wasn't gonna let the man get to me.

I lay on the soft mattress for hours. I couldn't help but let thoughts of the Pogues seep into my mind. What was I going to do in my house without them? I didn't know how long my dad was gonna keep me locked up.

A knock on the door pulls my attention away from the thoughts running through my head. It was very late by now and I probably should be asleep. I couldn't fall asleep though, my stress too high from the events of today.

"Come in."

My bedroom door opens slowly, revealing a familiar blonde. He looks up from the ground, his gaze connecting with mine.

"Oh my god, JJ!" I climb off my bed quickly and run over to the boy, wrapping him in a hug. I feel his tense muscles relax underneath my touch. I rest my head on his chest, breathing in the boy's scent. "God, you scared me."

"I'm sorry." The boy mumbles.

I look up at him, looking at the bruises marking his face. I reach up and graze my thumb along his lip. It was slightly swollen and had been split. His expression changes when he notices a sad expression on my face.

"What happened to you?" I ask quietly, concern lacing my voice.

I could tell he was hesitant to answer. He opened his mouth as if to speak but closed it again. I cup his cheek in my hand.

"JJ? You can talk to me."

"My dad."

My eyes widen in shock. "He did this to you?" Then it hit me. "You weren't lying at the salvage yard, were you?" My heart broke for the boy in front of me. JJ shakes his head slowly. I shake my head in disbelief. "I'm so sorry, J."

"It's okay."

"Stay here tonight." I plead.

"I don't wanna intrude."

I cup his face in my hands, getting him to focus only on me. "You're not intruding. I want you to stay with me. Please?" JJ nods again, allowing me to lead him over to my bed.

He crawls into the spot next to mine, getting comfortable. I lay next to him, facing him. He reaches out, brushing a stray strand of hair behind my ear. I grab his hand, holding it to my cheek.

"Come here." JJ whispers. I scoot closer to him, laying my head on his chest. His arm wraps around my shoulders, holding me against him.

"You okay?" I ask.

He nods. "I am now."

I see my door push open more as Flynn comes walking through the door. He jumps up onto my bed, making himself comfortable. I let out a light giggle as my dog joins JJ and I in the bed.

I look up at JJ so I could see his face. "Can I ask you something?" I question.

"Yes."

"Why did you come here? Why not anyone else's?"

"I don't know. I just needed to get out and seeing you felt right. It still does, being around you feels right."

A small smile makes its way onto my lips. "You're always welcome here, J. Being with you feels right too."

JJ presses a soft kiss to my forehead before relaxing into the pillow. I nuzzle into his chest, getting comfortable. I don't go to sleep until I know he has fallen asleep. His deep, sleepy breaths pull me into my own sleep.