5: A Sign

Y/n found herself walking into the drama room the next day. All night, ever since yesterday, Big Red's words were stuck in her head. Was Ricky really singing at her? Y/n shook it off, thinking Big Red was seeing things.

As she placed her bag down on the floor, her e/c eyes stopped on Ricky and Nini, who were both talking to Carlos. Y/n examined her sister's face. She did not look happy. Then again, she hadn't been since Ricky had auditioned and gotten the role.

"You know, you'd be a better Gabriella." A voice speaks from behind her.

Y/n jumps slightly, startled by the sudden voice as she turns around, seeing a girl standing there, wearing a matching sports bra and leggings with her hair done up in a bun.

The girl chuckles. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

"Oh, no it's fine. Just didn't expect it." Y/n replies, giving her a small smile.

"I'm Gina Porter, sophomore." The girl, Gina, greets, holding out her hand.

Y/n shakes her hand. "Y/n Salazar-Roberts, junior. I just wanna say, you're dancing is amazing. I could never move like that."

Gina chuckles. "Thank you. Maybe I could teach you sometime."

"Okay, people." Carlos suddenly calls and Gina walks off, giving the girl one last smile. "Let's take it from three counts of eight, right before Troy and Gabriella's entrance for the bows."

Standing on the side, leaning back against the wall, Y/n watches the backup dancers dance perfectly to the song before Nini and Ricky come up. Nini was doing good. Ricky, however, not so much.

Nini stops dancing, looking at Ricky with an annoyed look. Immediately, they start arguing as everyone in the drama room watches awkwardly while Carlos tries getting them back into practice, however, that doesn't work.

"Okay, that's a five! On a break, people! Everybody out! Get out!" Carlos exclaims, ushering everyone except Ricky and Nini out of the drama room.

Y/n grabs her bag, meeting Big Red halfway as they walk out of the room. The two best friends waited out in the hall as the rests of the students continued walking. After about another minute or so, Ricky stomps out of the room, glancing at Y/n as he passes her. Big Red and Y/n share a glance before following after him.

"Dude, what happened? Why are we leaving?" Big Red asks.

"Cause Operation Troy was a huge mistake. It just made things worse." Ricky replies in annoyance.

"Hey, Ricky." Y/n begins, grabbing his hand, which causes him to stop walking, looking into her e/c eyes. "It wasn't a mistake, alright? It was just an... attempt or something like that. Don't give up now."

"I don't know, Y/n/n. You know, maybe this is a sign." Ricky states.

"A sign for what?" Big Red questions.

"A sign that I don't belong with Nini." Ricky replies, not even looking at him as he stares into Y/n's e/c eyes.

"What are you-"

"There you are!" Carlos calls, cutting Y/n off as he runs towards them. "Ms. Jenn wants everyone back in the room."

"Tell Ms. Jenn I'm done. Okay? Sorry, I can't dance like Fred Rogers." Ricky states in annoyance.

"It's Fred Astaire." Carlos corrects. "Fred Rogers is Mister Rogers. He never danced, he potty-trained puppets."

"Seriously? I was impressed they made dolls that could cry." Big Red comments, making Y/n give him a look, to which he covers his mouth with his hand.