3: Auditions

Walking to the middle of the stage, Y/n nervously played with her fingers as she met her sister's eyes, Nini giving her a supporting smile and a thumbs up, Kourtney doing the same thing as they sat in front of her. She was slightly surprised when EJ gave her a little supporting smile, as well. The couple had already gone after trying out for Troy and Gabriella.

"Any intel on this one?" Miss Jenn asks quietly to Carlos.

"Y/n Salazar-Roberts. Nini's twin sister." Carlos replies, pointing to the other twin. "She writes songs. I've heard her sing once."

Miss Jenn nods, both of them looking at the girl. "Okay, Y/n! Whenever you're ready."

Just as Y/n goes to open her mouth, a voice beats her. "Am I too late? Am I too late?"

Everyone looks over, seeing Ricky Bowen running in, guitar case in hand. Y/n furrows her brows, slightly confused on why he was here until she glanced at her sister, now understanding he was trying to win her back.

"We're all set on Troy's. We're low on Chad's. You can read after our last Kelsi." Miss Jenn responds.

"I only studied the Troy scenes in the movie." Ricky informs.

"Troy would've arrived on time." Carlos states.

Miss Jenn sighs, patting his arm. "Thanks. Let me do the talking. Okay, Y/n, let's try this again."

"You got this, girl!" Kourtney cheers, making Miss Jenn spill her coffee on the light board switch.

One by one, all the lights went out in the auditorium, making Y/n slightly more panicked than she already was.

"Nobody panic! Y/n, let's wait for the lights to come back on. I don't want this to throw you." Miss Jenn calls.

Y/n lets out a little shrug. "I'm not thrown. This is a song I've been working on, called 'Wake Up'."

(Actually from Julie and the Phantoms... really good song)

She clasped her hands together, playing with her thumbs as she also pulled her sleeves slightly. She was too nervous. No one had ever heard this song before, as she had recently started writing it.

"Here's one thing I want you to know
You got someplace to go
Life's a test, yes, but you go toe-to-toe
You don't give up, no, you grow"

Ricky's heart jumped as he heard her sing. It had been weeks since he's heard her voice sing one of her songs. Realizing they were still in the dark and she deserved a real spotlight, Ricky whipped out his phone, turning on the flashlight before taking small steps forward, shining the light at the girl in front of him, the two staring at one another.

"And you use your pain
Cause it makes you "you"
Though I wish I could hold you through it
I know it's not the same
You got living to do
And I just want you to do it
So get up, get out, relight that spark
You know the rest by heart"

Ricky couldn't stop staring at her, neither could she. They stared into each other's eyes as she sang, his flashlight still shining on her as they slightly forgot about the people around them. The boy's heart couldn't stop jumping, his only focus being on the girl in front of him.

"Wake up, wake up if it's all you do
Look out, look inside of you
It's not what you lost
It's what you'll gain raising your voice in the rain
Wake up your dream and make it true
Look out, look inside of you
It's not what you lost
Relight that spark, time to come out of the dark
Wake up, wake up"