1-♪- Goodbye Apathy

♪-Chapter One

                                              "Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
                                              Take him and cut him out in little stars,
                                            And he will make the face of heaven so fine
                                          That all the world will be in love with night.” 

~*~

            The rain poured down in torrents.

            “This sucks,” my sixteen-year-old sister Carmina, whines from the left, fiddling over her iPhone.

            I grip the limo’s plush leather seats, pressing my face against the window as I study the small droplets of crystal. They were beautiful.

            “Wait about 30 minutes sweetie,” my mother says patting Carmina’s knee.

            Carmina yawns. “Whatever. I’ll just catch some zzzzs,” she says, stretching her long legs out.

            She precariously tosses her vogue magazine across the car where it successfully smacks my face.

            Growling in annoyance, I clench the magazine casting a disgusted look at the photo in the front. In the magazine, Carmina sits with her long legs crossed, the red ball grown sweeping elegantly around her slim body. Her long, golden hair cascades down to her waist and her blue eyes are like diamonds against her perfect skin.

            Vogue. Cosmopolitan. People’s mag. You name it, and my little sister has graced the cover of it. I think she was even on a Japanese magazine once.

            At sixteen, her album has already reached number one on iTunes, she has already been to multiple modeling shoots, and is stared in the upcoming hit blockbuster movie as the main actress.

            And here I was. Seventeen and nothing to show for my worthiness.

            Scratch that, Maybe I had that third grade spelling bee championship certificate.

            Tossing the magazine aside, I sigh and turn back to the window, gluing my eyes to the gray, looming clouds above.

            A sense of peace overcomes me and I watch as teardrops from heaven fall down in torrents, whiplashing against the car windows.

            I have always had a sense of peace with the rain. I loved everything from the gemstone water pellets to the smell of a night after a storm.

 A quotes by Langston Hughes rings on in my mind as we zoom past.

            “Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby.”

            Pressing the button to the window, I smile in contents as a few droplets hit my face.

            That contentment didn’t last long though.

            “Aria! Closed that cursed window or so help me-“

            “Young lady you better close that windo-“

            “Aaarrrrriiiiiiaaaaaaaaaa!”

            Three voices of protest from my mother, father and Carmina ring out as I reluctantly close the window, sulking in the confined space.