Chapter Three

* * *

So it turns out we weren’t the only Maze.

Rat-man-he said his name is Janson- took us to a cafeteria where about forty other kids our age were eating.

They are all from Mazes too. One kid, we were told, was the only boy with a bunch of girls.

A kid with light blond hair, who told us about the other Mazes, pointed to a kid sitting by himself at a table. His face was hidden by a hood as he slouched over his food tray.

Thomas suddenly got up from his chair and walked over to the door. I saw what got him up. Teresa was following a doctor down the hallway.

"Teresa!” Thomas called, but Teresa didn’t hear him.

“Hey, you need to go sit down!” A guard yelled.

“Where are they taking her?” Thomas demanded.

“She’s fine. Now go sit. Now.” The guard nudged Thomas back towards our table.

“Thomas! Get your shucking butt over here!” I told him.

He looked at me, an angry look on his face. But then it softened and he reluctantly walked back and sat back in his chair.

“She’ll be fine.” I told him.

I looked to Minho beside me, looking for support, but he was trying not to laugh. I gave him an annoyed look and finished my food-good food. I’m not saying that Fry’s food was bad or anything, because it wasn’t (well...). I’m just saying that this food was different; quesadillas. Yummy.

“Alright. Let’s get this done quickly. I’m hungry too.” Janson walked in with a notepad.

I noticed the other Maze kids looked excited.

“Abby!” Janson called. A brown-haired girl jumped up, hugged another girl, and jogged out the door.

“Cooper!” He continued to call out kids names, each one running out the door happily.

Minho turned to the blond boy. “What’s going on?” He asked him.

“Lucky kids. There’s a farm, a sanctuary away from this mess. They can only take a few kids in at a time.”

“Timmy!” The boy jumped up. That must be his name.

“See y’all later!” Timmy said before leaving.

I looked around the cafeteria and my eyes met the lone boy. He looked scared.