Chapter 4

Over the next few weeks I went to different job interviews, but nobody took me in. I had scheduled an interview for a cafe in my area at two o'clock.

As i made my way down to the cafe I could see that there was a lot of people visiting this cafe and it was going to be a lot of work.

I got to the casher register and asked for the manager. The boy behind the counter pointed on a door on the left and I walked ahead. As soon as I knocked I heard a voice say «come in.» I opened the door and saw a man behind a small desk.

«Please, sit down.» I did as he said and placed my things beside me.

«Im Michael and you must be......»

«Stephany Johnson»

«Yes, right. So to start I want to ask you about your past jobs. I see that you have had a lot of them.»

«Yeah, i like to try new stuff sometimes.» I gave off a little chuckle.

«So what makes you want to try this job Stephany?»

«Well, to be totally honest I really need a job so I can pay my landlord. You see the last place I worked at got shut down is I need this job.»

«I see, do you have any experience in working in a cafe?»

«Not exactly as you can see on my resume, but I learn really fast and can take on anything. I can work any shift you'd want me to»

«Of course, uhm. I am gonna give you this number and i'll get back to you. We have many others to consider also.» That sentence made me believe that I had lost this one too.

«Sounds great, I'm sure there's a lot of people in need for a job.» I chuckled and so did he.

I found my way out and bought myself a doughnut.

***

A few days later I got the call that I had gotten the job and that I started the next day.

Of course I had to be trained because I did not now how to work the coffee machine. The fact that I was a fast learner helped

a lot. But that didn't mean I got to make the drinks.

The first couple of weeks I walked around filling up the empty coffee cups to the costumers that ordered with refills.

« Do you want another refill sir?» I asked a man drawing on a napkin.

«Yes please.» He answered as he looked up and our eyes met.

As i remembered who he was I thought about how small this city really is.

«Hi» he said with a smile.

«Hi» i answered kind of awkward.