Interview with the winner of the 'A Midsummer Love Story'Contest

Hello dear Younglings and Army!

We hope you  are doing fine and want to thank you once again for showing interest in our "A Midsummer Love Story Contest"!

One of our prizes was a little interview with the winner of our contest.
Here is the amazing interview featuring our contest winner AimeeLew with her entry 'End of the pier.'

1. When did you start to write and when did you decide you would like to publish your stories?

I started writing and publishing in 2015. Looking back, those earlier works were fantastical and sloppy and so cringe-worthy - and I love them because of it. They helped me carve out my niche, which is mainly light academia and contemporary romance. Though I have been publishing work since 2015, a more serious and professional approach to writing developed in 2019. Since then, I have become a Wattpad Star, so I must say it worked!

2. Do you like to plan your stories or do you just ... go ahead and write whatever comes to your mind?

Plan. Plan, plan, plan. I cannot advocate for it enough, but here are some reasons a writer should plan if they are looking to write a 3D, satisfying story. Planning makes your characters better and irons over inconsistencies within your story. Planning decreases writer's block because you don't have to think as much about where your story is going. Planning lets you choose themes, motifs and plots that deliver a stronger message in the end. And more! (But I'll stop here.)

3. What is your inspiration?

In life: my mum. She is my hero. In writing: the fact that I have never fit into any of the boxes around me. I'm an immigrant. I grew up lower class. I'm a POC but not 'cultured' enough. I'm an educated woman who still struggles to find my voice. I like to think my different experiences give me a unique outlook on this whole 'life' thing, which I share with my lovely, lovely readers.

4. According to you what is the best way to deal with writer's block?

As above, planning. Just because if you have a
detailed plot already written, you'll rarely have to think about what comes next. That being said, sometimes you know which scene you need to write and your fingers just. Won't. Do. The thing. In that case, I recommend writing only the dialogue for that chapter. Skip description and narration. The most natural thing to us writers is the inner voice, so if you just focus on the conversation between characters, that can help get those difficult scenes flowing. Then I come back later to fill in all the "he said" and "the air was cold" and prose.

5. What advice do you have for new wattpad writer's?

Considering I have slaved away at Wattpad since 2015, I feel well posed to share some hard-won advice. First, comment everywhere you read! Be funny, be outrageous, or even just drop a relatable GIF. The more people that see you around the platform, the more chances of them following you. Second, reply to every comment on your works - readers like to feel seen, and this also boosts your stats. Third, and this is the toughest thing to follow, FINISH YOUR WORK. I personally complete all my stories offline before publishing to Wattpad. No hiatuses. No unpredictable update schedules. Doing this makes you a reliable source of good content (because you ARE good, sweetie). On Wattpad, the reliability thing is very appreciated. Good luck, everyone!

It was very interesting to read all the answers to our questions! We hope you were as curious as we were about Inspiration, A way to write a story and the writing journey of our winner.

We hope to see you soon, maybe with yet another contest!

BTS-Community Team and YARomance Team!