the string of fate » jung jaehyun

genre: angst (?)
word count: 1k

You were always told that you were lucky and that you were special by your grandma because you had the ability to see the Red String Of Fate that tied soulmates together but you hated this ability and wished you were like everyone else. There were, of course other people around the world who had the same ability as you but it was ostensibly rare.

Your nibbled on your lower lip as your looked at your "soulmate" making his way out of the theater with his arms dangling over her girl. He smiled into the distance and looked at her as though he was a kid and she was the toy he always wanted and finally got it for his Christmas gift.

Your closed your flower shop right after they left. The neon lights of the theater opposite of your shop made you stop and stare at them.

With the ability to see the fates of other people allowed you to also build new relationships and break the law of soulmates, which meant that you could break the ties that the universe has given and make a new bond with people who loved each other. It felt like a curse when people actually asked you to do it but you couldn't just suddenly lie that you can't control it anymore.

Your soulmate was a nice person, although you didn't get your chance to personally know him, your friend had told you that he's the best guy ever. You took your chances to steal glances at him and sure, the way his eyes sparkled and the way his dimples showed as he smiled was beyond ethereal.

-

You called your best friend, Han Yuri and asked her to a evening café date. She was waiting for you in in the café, in a beige cloak, looking beautiful as ever. This fact make you flinch a little.

"Hey, Y/N, here," she said, raising her hand for you to see. You smiled and walked to her. As she started off and talked about how much she loved her fiancé, you smiled as you couldn't believe this woman who was with you through the best and the worst of your life was getting on with a new life.

"So, here's the thing, Yuri. I don't want to spoil it for you but I want to go to the wedding venue and do the things myself, I want you to experience the best, hun." You smiled as you mentally rehearsed your plans for her beach- side wedding.

Yuri's dream-marriage ceremony was a wedding in Paris, that's why I wanted to slap her to get her back to her senses because this wasn't some fictional love story, or maybe it was with all the tension. But anyways, we decided to go with her fiancé's dream wedding.

He wanted a beach-wedding. A one with white and light colored flowers decorating the area and you knew just right what to do as a florist.

"So, you found your soulmate yet?" Yuri asked, her gaze shifting from her Americano to you, almost making you choke on your Latte. You told Yuri everything, from the smallest details to the most recent ones but it felt like the right thing to keep your soulmate to yourself.

"You know I don't believe in love, I mean, sounds stupid that 'I' am the one saying that but it feels wrong that it's the universe making the choice of our lives for us," You replied, with a shrug. You knew Yuri thought the same but she met her fiancé so she basically believed in love.

It was her final day being single so you took her to have fun for the night. Next stop, karaoke.

-

It's the final day, and you make sure that the flowers near the priest and those on the tables of where the guests were seated compliments Yuri's dress.

The way she looks perfect in her dress bring you to tears as you stand, arms folded in your knee-length bridesmaid dress. Everything was just perfect, the sun wasn't so bright and her fiancé looked perfect in his suit.

You repeatedly told yourself that your feelings would soon go away and a heartbreak can't be hurtful forever. You told yourself this again and again as you glanced at the two most perfect couple looks at each other as they smiled and exchanged their rings.

"Y/N, I have a favor to ask," Yuri called for you, you wiped your tears and replied with a hum.

"Can you do us a favor and tie our knots together?" Yuri looked her her fiancé and smiled at him and then looked at you with the same smile.

Jaehyun looked at you with his expectating doe-eyes, he looked like he was just delivered from heaven, never had your view of this guy changed even once in your whole lifetime and you wished to alter that for the sake of your best friend.

You walked closer to your best friend and untied her knot from her wrist, the other end of her Red String Of Fate dangled in the windy beach as it disappeared further.

You walked towards Jaehyun, between your fingers holding Yuri's string, you untied Jaehyun's knot and tied the two of their Strings together intricately, it looked like a Chinese Flower and your smiled as a tear made it's way to the ground.

"I'm just so happy for you," You spoke, your voice was broken, you wiped your tears as you saw the end of your string untied. Your part of the string was floating in the wind, it blew as though wanting to escape.

You blew into the wind, puffing out your face and slowly exited the place to the reception area. There was a huge house near the wedding area, you went to the balcony overlooking the ocean. The other end of your string of fate danced in the wind as if mocking you for your loss.

Perhaps this is the reward for cutting off bonds and making new ones for other people.