Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

Addison awoke to her phone annoyingly going off. It had been two days since this whole thing had started. Sometimes the pain was completely gone and others it would return with a vengeance. In those pain free moments she was able to feed herself and talk to Henry. She still hadn't heard from Callie so she had decided that if she heard nothing by the end of the third day she would either call Mark or use the family jet to get herself to Seattle. However, it seemed there would be no need to call anyone else since when she picked up the voice on the other end of the line belonged to Callie.

"Addison?" Callie said nervously.

"Dammit, Callie. I've been trying to reach you. What the hell?" Addison cursed lightly.

"I'm sorry. I had to change phone numbers and haven't gotten around to messaging everyone the new one. You can save it now though." Callie offered.

"I don't care about that Callie. How is she? What the hell happened? I can barely move around. The first wave of pain was awful. What the hell happened?!" Addison asked exasperated and then let out a groan as she began to feel pain shooting from her jaw and left side.

"A patient attacked Meredith." Callie said.

"A patient?" Addison's voice came out strangled.

"Are you ok?" Callie asked, concern etching onto her voice.

"Tell me." Addison pushed swallowing hard.

"We think he had a seizure and he was in a postictal state when he attacked her. She was alone with him in the exam room. It had just been 5 minutes but that was enough. She had a few broken ribs. A punctured lung. Dislocated and fractured leg and elbow as well as her jaw. She fought to keep him off of her but he was too strong." As Callie spoke silent tears ran down Addison's cheeks. But at least pain had started to subside.

"How is she?" She asked.

"She's ok. Everything has been corrected. She'll need surgery for her elbow but I'll fix it no problem. Her jaw was wired shut in order for it to heal. She's been..." Callie explained.

"Sleeping. Because when she's awake she's in too much pain. I know." Addison interrupted.

"Will you be coming up this time?" Callie asked.

"I don't know. I want to see her. But I..." Addison trailed off and before she could start talking again she heard a door open and shut in Callie's background.

"Arizona?" Callie said.

"She knows." Arizona responded.

"She knows?" Callie asked and Addison could hear the confusion through the phone.

"Meredith heard us. She heard us say Addison felt her pain." Arizona said and Addison could feel her heart sink down and down. Suddenly it became hard to breathe.

"Oh my god, no. Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god." Addison started freaking out.

"Addison, calm down. Please calm down." Callie tried.

"She knows Callie. Meredith knows. And she knows that I know. Oh my god." Addison's voice quivered slightly.

"It'll be ok." Callie offered.

"No it fucking won't be!" Addison spat angrily. "She's probably thinking the worst thing ever. I was content. Content to live out the rest of my days without bothering her. Without making her suffer. Without bringing my mess of an existence to her. She deserves better than what I am. What I can give. And now. Now she knows." She sobbed the last words. "She knows." She repeated.