Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

"The thing with soulmates is that sometimes you don't know they are it for you. There's also times when you just don't have one. But I think you'll find them. I think you'll find your soulmate. I think it will be wonderful when you do. Just be patient and you will have them. And they will be your forever and you will be their forever."

"Promise, daddy."

"I promise, Kitten. I promise."

***

Addison Forbes Montgomery was convinced having a soulmate was possibly the worst thing that could happen to a person. Especially given her soulmate was a magnet for pain. That was if you also put aside the fact that her soulmate was her ex-husband's dirty mistress, who would later on become his second wife and the mother of his children. She had heard about the recent divorce thanks to Callie but it was just so late now. She had known for so long and she was certain she would not forgive her silence.

It seemed like destiny thought of her as a joke, that was why everything had turned out the way it had turned out. She found the whole soulmate thing stupid, you are destined for this person so you get to feel all their worst pain. At least if they stubbed  their toe you wouldn't feel it or if they hit their funny bone. So she could be thankful for that. Still this out of nowhere feeling was idiotic or so she liked to say to herself. If she was honest in the back of her mind she hated that she couldn't be with hers. It was her own fault of course but that's besides the point.

A knock on the door shook her away from her thoughts and she got up as she heard running on the floor above. She chuckled as she opened the door knowing that her son was running and getting the last of his things together for his trip with his father.

"Hi." Addison smiled at Jake.

"Hello." He smiled back.

"He's almost ready. Can you hear it?" She chuckled.

"Oh, I hear it alright." Jake chuckled back then they were quiet. Jake began to shuffle a bit and she smiled already aware that his shuffling had to do with him freaking out over something.

"Are you ok?" She asked.

"I'm good." He replied quickly.

"I know you, Jake. What's up?" She shook her head and smirked.

"Are you ok?" He asked and she knew why he was asking. A few months after they had decided to get married Jake had found his soulmate. He had told her that he was fine with her, that he loved her. But Addison knew that he didn't love her enough not to regret staying instead of going. So just as she had done before she had let him go and be happy.

"Are you happy?" She asked, tilting her head.

"Addison, I..." He began.

"Are you?" She asked once more.

"Yes." He said with a sad smile.

"Then I'm ok." She smiled brightly.

"Just like that?" Jake looked at her with awe.

"Just like that." She grinned.

"I know you'll find yours, Addison. I know that you will be happy." Jake said with a hopeful smile that she returned along with a nod. A tiny voice in her head reminding her she had already found them.

"Daddy!" Henry ran to his father pulling a suitcase behind him.

"Hey, buddy." Jake said as the boy crashed onto him.