Chapter Twenty-One

Hey guys! I have NO idea how it's been ten days since I've uploaded, I'm so sorry. I've been so busy lately, it's actually crazy. Anytime I have to write I'm too exhausted to think. And track just started this week ahhh idk when I'm going to do anything now, I'm sorry. Hopefully I can find time somehow. This book is really wrapping up anyway. After this chapter I'm pretty sure there's about 3 left?? Maybe 4 tops. So yeah, almost there. Thanks for reading, feel free to let me know what you think in the comments! :)

Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter Twenty-One

The last week of October, my stress levels were pushing through the roof. Wednesday was Semifinals, a two-game tournament, and if we made it through that, the next Saturday was the final championship game. I felt like I had just been through that nervous hell though already it had been a year since the end of my last soccer season.

I needed the win, so badly that I was constantly shooting goals and running through the game in my mind. Even though the game we’d played against Crosswell earlier in the season hadn’t mattered for our ranking, now they were in their region’s semifinals. If they made it to finals, it would exactly mirror last year’s standings.

And I wasn’t sure I could manage that, especially whenever I thought about my inability to score a goal whenever they were on the field with us.

“So glad I don’t have to stress over that stuff,” said Caleb as he came into my bedroom Tuesday after school. As usual, Coach hadn’t called practice the day before Semis, saying that we all needed to get some rest, though he didn’t seem to think I needed to because it was the night of his business’ annual dinner and the entire family had to attend.

Mom had forced me to wear a tie and suit jacket, so I stood in front of my mirror attempting to knot my tie into a respectable shape. I hadn’t noticed Caleb walking in, and at his comment I realized that I must have been mumbling about soccer under my breath as my mind flicked feverishly through plays.

“I always forget about this dumb dinner thing.” I yanked on my tie in frustration. “Why did it have to be the day before Semis this year?”

“Can I borrow a tie?” asked Caleb, already rifling through my drawer. “Maybe you can convince Dad to let you leave early or something.” He held up a tie with a questioning look, and I nodded vaguely at him; he looked amused. “You look like you’re about to choke yourself.”

“Kinda want to,” I mumbled as I looked at the clock. In twenty-four hours, we’d be on the field, determining everything.

Caleb shook his head, looping the tie around his neck. “I probably shouldn’t say this, but I’m pretty glad my team didn’t make it that far. I couldn’t handle that stress.” He paused and then glanced at the door. “I talked to Dad the other day. You know – about basketball.”

“And?”

“He took it pretty well.” Surprise flashed in his voice, and I had to hide a grin. “I guess you were right – talking to him worked. Basketball tryouts are next week, and I think I’m going to go for it.”