Chapter Ten

Hello! Luckily I'm feeling better, so I was able to write, whoo hoo! It's been a rough week though, whew. I have an APUSH test and AP Chem quiz tomorrow that I should be studying for, but I'm so past the point of caring it's not even funny. 13 days till Christmas!! It can't come quick enough ughghhgh. Anyway, I hope you like this chapter. I hope my plot development's going okay...idk do you like it? I just want to write the end haha cuz that's the part I'm excited for but unfortunately the end is kinda, you know, the end. Not there yet. For a while. Well, enjoy!

Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter Ten

"Well." Ray surveyed the long green field, nodding as he stood with his hands on his hips. "I guess this is it, guys. Our one shot. One opportunity. Let's not blow it."

"Oh, shut up."

I shoved his shoulder, rolling my eyes, because I knew he was making fun of me for being so nervous for the game. That wasn't the kind of attitude I needed in front of the team as we congregated on our side of the field, laced up and ready to play. The energy in the air was palpable and very contagious; my stomach fluttered like a thousand butterflies.

"I'm just messing with you, Coop." Turning to face us, Ray leaned his elbow on my shoulder, grinning at the rest of the guys. "Don't stress out there – just play like I know you're able to, and we'll be fine. Central's not a difficult team."

"What was the score against them last year?" George Harrison pretended the think. "Oh, that's right – like, four to one."

A couple guys whooped as the infectious excitement buoyed their spirits. James, my co-captain, almost flattened me as he slapped my back, telling me to look more cheerful. I forced myself to grin as I slung my arm around Ray's shoulders and brought the guys in for a huddle.

Even with an easy team like Central, I was too concentrated for cheering and hollering. It wasn't confidence I lacked – obviously we would beat them, and I didn't think their defense would give me any trouble – but I didn't have Ray's happy-go-lucky attitude. After all, he wasn't the one who'd lost the whole season for the team the previous year.

My dad stood in the center of our huddle, gripping his clipboard tightly. "All right, let's settle down," he said, his voice slightly raised, and when we quieted, he continued. "I know what you all think of Central –"

A few guys exchanged smirks.

"– but keep in mind that this is our first league game. If we want to succeed this season, this is the first step. Let's not lose focus on the field – Central is a different team this year. Underestimating them would be a dumb move."

Even tenser than you: Ray's expression said it all. I cleared my throat, adding in my own two bits after my dad was finished. "We're a different team this year, too, but that doesn't mean we aren't just as good. We have to start a habit today of giving it our all out there."

"Took the words right outta my mouth, Coop," said James. "Let's go get 'em!"

As we broke up, I saw my dad pull Jamison aside to talk to him. I hoped he was giving him a confidence boost because unlike the game with Gallagher Prep, he would probably have to stop a few goals this time. He looked smaller in the goalie jersey made for Jack's stockier and taller build.

"Poor guy probably feels like he has loads to live up to," said Ray in a low voice beside me, reading my mind like usual.

"Don't we all," I said shortly, turning away to face the field.

As the ref blew his whistle, I took a deep breath and led the jog out onto the field, my cleats crunching against the dry grass. For the second time, I met with Ray and James in the center as captains, awaiting the coin toss. Maybe remembering his call last game, James looked to me, and I said, "Heads," with confidence.