chapter twenty eight

George had just turned six months old when Ricardo was declared fit enough to return to the circus on a more permanent basis.

Although the doctors did advise him not to do anything too strenuous still, even though he could now walk fine without crutches. Now he only depended had a walking stick occasionally, which hoped one day soon to throw away.

The circus was in Ireland again ironically enough, so we had to fly out to join then. Benny picked us up at the airport to take us to the site where the circus was camped for the next week

When we arrived, I couldn't help noticing with slight surprise when we got out of the car that there didn't seem to be many people about. Usually when they were putting up camp the place was a hive of activity and noise.

But I soon discovered the reason as Benny led us over to the Big Top, telling us that's where Ricardo's father probably was waiting on us.

When we entered, we did see Thomas there, along with almost everyone else from the circus who had gathered in the big tent to welcome Ricardo on his return.

As soon as we stepped in we were hit with the sound of thunderous applause and cheering from the large crowd, making us stop dead in our tracks, taken by surprise.

Though now that I thought about it perhaps I should have realised Ricardo would get a rapturous welcome back because he was so well thought of.

But still I found it all overwhelmingly moving, more for Ricardo than myself.

I thought they were never going to stop applauding. I had little George in my arms and his big dark eyes which were now interested in everything going around surveyed the scene with childish wonderment, then his head turned to look at me for reassurance, as if silently asking what the heck is going on here.

Ricardo was looking strangely humbled by the reception, shaking his head and grinning almost sheepishly.

His family came forward first, his father holding out his hand, beaming "Welcome back!" he declared with tears in his eyes, grabbing Ricardo's hand, and shaking it vigorously before enveloping him in a hug, after that the rest of the family gathered around him for the happy reunion.

I found myself chewing down on my lower lip really hard to keep my emotions in check, as I felt tears threatening Even more so, when they turned to hug me in welcome too, and suddenly we were surrounded by everyone happily welcoming us back.

At last, we were home......

*****************************************************************

It didn't take long for us to get into some sort of routine after a few weeks. Some things remained the same, whilst in other ways things had changed a lot.

We had acquired another bigger caravan because of our new addition.

As for our house in France, we decided to do what Benny's parents had done, and lease it out in the summer months for tourists

I returned to helping my Aunt Lizzie and some of the other women with the costumes, and helping out in the background. I was never short for someone to keep an eye on George, who loved all the attention he was getting. He was already used to most of the faces anyway when they had constantly visited us when we were in France.

Ricardo meanwhile was making use of himself, helping my cousin Alex and his two sisters with the trapeze act. He was instructing them mostly from the ground about some of his own moves and ideas that Alex could try out.

In between that, he was getting his own body strengthened and into shape again, still determined he would be up there swinging through the air again one day soon