chapter seven

Sometimes I found I preferred animals to people. And if I could not take refuge in my books, I would go and spend time with the horses

Spangle had originally been Alicia's horse before she went away. She had specifically asked me to keep an eye on her, knowing I was fond of the young mare, and I had been only too happy to oblige.

Spangle was now Carla's horse, and in the beginning she didn't mind me looking after the horse. But since I had married Ricardo and they had to bring an end to the little 'thing' going on between them, she had been petty and spiteful, insisting I leave the horses alone and not bother with them anymore.

But that didn't stop me completely. When I had a chance, I would sneak over to visit Spangle when I knew it was safe, and she was not around.

I was still smarting slightly from Ricardo's little stunt up on the trapeze the day before, so I needed some company which didn't want to gossip or snigger behind my back. And was why I had sneaked into Spangle's horsebox to be with her and feed her some sugar lumps her favourite treats, talking to her and patting her lovely white nose.

At least she seemed pleased to see me

And just when I was relaxed in her company, I heard the voices. They were slightly muffled from a distance, but they were getting closer, and much to my dismay I recognised them. One was Carla, the other was Ricardo.

My body froze at first, as I realised the voices were now not too far from me. I was praying that Carla hadn't come to check on Spangle, or I would be in for it. I could not leave the horsebox or they would see me. I went to the very back of it, just in case, almost holding my breath as I did so.

I could hear them talking more clearly now. I didn't want to eavesdrop, but it seemed they had stopped somewhere nearby, so couldn't avoid listening in.

Then I realised they were talking about me and the incident the day before.

Carla's voice was filled with amusement, " Really Ricky, poor Mel's face... she was as white as a ghost when she came out of the Big Top yesterday, "I guess she won't be wanting to join you up on the trapeze again.

"No, I doubt it," I heard Ricardo reply dryly, "I have hardly set eyes on her since the yesterday,  so I guess she has decided to avoid me even more now; not that it bothers me"

"Poor Ricky," Carla's tone was full of sympathy, "It must be terrible being stuck with her, it's not fair your parents insisted you had to marry her because they found out about us... I miss you still," she then confessed

I really did not want to be here listening to this. If they discovered me now, they would be furious. So all I could do was remain still and hope they moved away.

"What about Tony, doesn't he satisfy you enough?" I then heard Ricardo query, his voice seemed low and husky, so I could just about make out his words

"He was never as good as you," Carla replied. There was silence after that, and for a moment I was hoping they had walked on, but then I realised they were still there as I heard Ricardo's voice

"No.. we can't do this," he sounded a little breathless now, and I surmised that perhaps they had kissed, but then he continued, "I promised my parents I would end it with you. All hell would break loose if they found out different.. I'm sorry Carla," he apologised regretfully

"Damn it Ricky," Carla replied in sullen frustration, "So what are you going to do? Go back and be faithful to your little wife, is she as good in the bed as me?"

"I doubt it," Ricardo replied sounding slightly amused at the idea, whilst I felt my face heat up as I stood in the horsebox, just wishing the ground would open and swallow me up.