chapter eighteen

It was my father who went into action, and managed to book an early flight to Paris for six thirty a.m, the following morning. He insisted he would come with me.

He and Isabel kept hugging me and patted my hand trying to reassure me that everything would be ok, assuming I was upset and in shock, yet I felt strangely calm.

But it still just felt all  so unreal to me like some sort of dream. It was only when I was sitting next to my father on the plane on my way to Paris, It started sinking in, and I found myself asking questions

What would happen if we got there, and he had died already?

I would be a widow at the tender age of eighteen, but then it would also mean I would be free from Ricardo.

Somehow this straying thought was almost appealing, but I was a little shocked that I could even contemplate this kind of thing, so I hastily pushed it out of my mind

When we reached the airport, my father then got us a taxi to take us straight to the hospital . Once there, we made the relevant enquiries to find where about he was in the hospital. I found out to my relief he was still alive as the receptionist was eventually able to tell me that he was had just been moved to a private ward on the second floor

We went up to the second floor in the lift, and going down one of the corridors I recognised Jeannette sitting down at the far end in one of the chairs, looking pale and upset.

"Look perhaps it's better if I wait here," my father suggested, "I am sure they won't want a stranger intruding on them at a time like this, you go ahead and I will go get a cup of coffee from the machine around the corner and wait on you"

"Alright," I replied, realising he probably had a point, "I will come and find you when I see how things are" I promised, he give me a quick hug and then I turned and made my way down to the end of the corridor where Jeannette was sitting.

As soon as she set eyes on me, she leapt up of the chair and embraced me; then broke into tears.

Seeing her crying now, upset me also

"Where is Ricardo, is he going to be alright?" I asked anxiously

"He came out of surgery four hours ago," she replied sniffling into her already damp handkerchief, "The doctors said they hope he will make it, but they can't be sure. The next forty eight hours are still crucial if he will make it or not"

"H-How did this all happen?" I then demanded

"It was a traffic accident, but it wasn't Ricky's fault; the other driver lost control of his car and crashed right into the side of him.. His car is a right off; it was horrible" Jeannette explained.

I felt myself go cold inside

If Ricardo didn't pull through, I realised his family would be shattered completely, and suddenly it wasn't myself I was concerned about anymore

"C'mon I will take you to him now.. Mum and dad are with him," she then said leading me across the corridor to one of the white doors opposite and opening it.

I braced myself and stepped inside the small room, Ricardo's parents where at either side of the bed, and they looked up as I entered with Jeanette

"Melanie, you made it, thank God!" Angela exclaimed holding her hand out to me to join her by the bedside

"Yes, I got here as soon as I could," I replied going over to her, my eyes now moving to the bed. Somehow I still could not accept I would find Ricardo lying there, and that it was all a big mistake.