48

William
The next day...

Charlie had beaten Agnes and me to the hospital. It was strange, seeing them alone. Since we've all gotten together as a family, I don't think I ever saw Charlie and Robbie. And the even more fucked up park is, they looked like they were having a serious conversation.

The four of us watched as many fireworks as we could from the window. Agnes was so amazed by and drawn to the lights that when she got tired, she refused to move and fell asleep on the chair. Robbie, being the second kindest person I know, sat up with his injured leg and made room for Agnes.

I carefully place her down, tuck Night Fury under her arm, and cover them with a blanket.

"You should take her home," Robbie says. "Bring her tomorrow."

I shake my head. "She'll be up in a few."

"How's school?" Charlie asks.

"It's summer," Robbie and I answer in unison.

"Damn, can y'all wait for me to finish?" Charlie gets up from his seat and leans on the window frame. "I mean have you decided on what grade she's going to be in?"

I return to my seat. "Agnes wants to skip a grade..."

"And you?" Robbie presses then glances at Agnes.

"I want her to stay with kids her own age but then again I want her to live up to her true potential. She's gifted-it's called that for a reason, and if I say no...I dunno, it's like I'm taking her gift away."

Charlie laughs. "You're overthinking this. You need to relax. Will, it's summer! Let her stay with Tisha for a weekend."

Sitting up, I crack my knuckles. If I'm being honest with myself, Charlie's my best friend. He has always stuck by me and-he won't ever admit this, but we can be very similar at times.

"I had sex," I say in a lowered voice. "It's none of your business and I sure as hell don't want to talk about it with my daughter in the same room, but yeah...I had sex."

"Gabriella," Robbie says evenly.

"I'll break your other leg," I warn him.

"Agnes'...what, foster aunt?" Charlie chimes in, and I cringe. Foster aunt? What the fuck? "Didn't she work in the group home Agnes was in?"

"Yup," Robbie smiles. I roll my eyes and sink into my seat. "Gabriella did not care! She had her eyes all over him."

"What happened?" Charlie asks me.

"Can we talk in the hall?"

"I want to hear this!" Robbie rushes out.

"For fuck's sakes," I push off the chair. "My daughter's right there. I'm not talking about my sex life." Charlie and Robbie look at each other then after a few beats of silence, burst into laughter. "How old are you guys? Sixteen?"

"It's just weird," Charlie says. "You never hesitated to talk about your...life before. It's like you're official; you're a real dad."

I grab the nearest thing I can reach and throw it at his head. Unfortunately for him, it was a tray. Whatever was left of Robbie's food is now on the floor. Charlie yelled when the tray hit him and it chatted loudly when it landed on the floor. Unfortunately for me, Agnes jumped up.

Shit.

The entire room freezes.

Half asleep, Agnes reaches for me. "Daddy."

Instantly I'm at her side. Picking her up, I whisper to her, "I'm sorry, baby girl." I sit down and place her on my lap. She mutters something while she curls into my chest and clings onto my arm.