Chapter Fifty-Three - a warning

I sighed deeply under the hot water as my body groaned in protest. It had been a week of continuous training, and continuous suspicion from Matthias. I knew he knew I had something to do with the King of the West's death but I refused to speak upon the matter.

He watched me carefully, but despite his suspicion, I had noticed a new level of respect from him, as if he somehow was impressed with what I had done. Brand continued to believe the rogues had another witch and I failed to correct him.

I hated lying to him, but this was something I had to keep to myself, I hated that Matthias and Damien knew but that was something that could'nt be helped now and surprisingly they were both keeping their mouths shut, neither of them pushing further whilst we spoke about it.

As I got out of the shower lost in my own thoughts I noticed a figure on my bed and I froze, clutching at the towel around my body. Matthias smiled at me as he shook a book in his hand, his eyebrows raised slightly.

"It took me a while, but I got there eventually, I knew you cast that rune" he said motioning to the magic book as I raised my eyebrows, shrugging, "What you going to do, turn me in?" I said unbothered as I walked over ripping the book from his grasp, "Do you want to know something interesting Lillian" he said as I rolled my eyes,

"Sure" I said fake smiling as I sat down at the dresser and brushed my hair, glad for once I didnt have to keep the innocent act going in front of him. "I am an orphan, and luckily I was found by a group of travelling witches as a baby. They took me in as one of their own, despite knowing what I was, I owe everything to them" he said as I turned around, slightly surprised.

"They used to constantly tell me stories of their legends, both past and present and I gained a lot of valuable knowledge from them. They spoke highly of the great goddess Hecate, of how she gifted women the power of magic and named them her children, but they also spoke of her greatest crime. The formation of her actual daughter, your mother." He continued as I watched him,

"She was locked up by the Gods, imprisoned in a barren dimension, unable to communicate with her children again apart from once a year, where she could bless them with her gifts." He continued as he watched me carefully, "But the witches also spoke about the rumour of the Erebus, the greatest power this world would ever see."

I took a deep breath as I gently placed the brush down, "This power has been rumoured to have chosen a few individuals, attempting to find its perfect match, to find the one destined to change the world, but so far has had no success." He continued as I raised an eyebrow, pushing my chair back,

"And what is the point of this little history lesson Matthias?" I said as he smiled at me, "I'm not going to share your little secret Lillian, because I know exactly what and who you are, and when the Great War does come, I will be glad to be on the winning side, with you as my Queen." He said as I raised my eyebrow,

"What about your King? Do you have no loyalty to him?" I said as he chuckled, "Oh Lillian, perhaps you should read further into your destiny, there is a lot more going on here than you think" he said as he pushed himself onto his feet, "And perhaps your should take a proper look at what's going on around you, see your King for what he truly is" he said as he teleported out of the room, leaving me alone.

I frowned at his words as I sat in silence, what on earth was he going on about? What was Brand doing that Matthias felt the need to warn me? Was I truly being so blind about something, it wasnt the first time I had been warned of Brand, Cyrene had made a claim about him too when we first met, what was it I wasn't seeing?

I quickly got dress as I walked down the stairs into the main hall as I saw Damien and Brand laughing at the table. My body immediately set on fire seeing Damien again, after the King of the West's death he had left, travelling to them to oversee the crowning of the new King, but I had a suspicion there was something further to his abrupt departure.

Everyone was sat slumped around the table, feeling the same as I did. We had spent the week training, not just me and Bethany but all of us, learning how to work together, and how to use all our powers, to help us gain a better advantage.

It was going well but I could sense the weather changing, and winter was coming. Time was quickly running out for us all, for me and if Matthias wa correct, there was still much for me to figure out.