Fanfics, Romance and Writer's Block: The Pirate Games Conundrum

Three years ago I wrote my first fan fiction attempt based on the Hunger Games but using my own characters. It did surprisingly well for my first attempt but no matter how hard I try I cannot seem to continue it further. Sorry, to all of you reading it but I doubt I'll be updating it any time soon, it's been on hold for the past two years. But I did discover something useful.

I cannot write romance.

Oh well, enough on that, on with the rant.

From what I've seen from other HG fanfics do (or even fanfics in general), they either change the setting and keep the characters or they change the characters and keep the setting or, in a rare case they do both but still link it to the existing books.

Yes, it's all good and well sticking to the original characters you know and love, but eventually you may get asked to change the names of the characters and I really don't want that. So, here's where I hit a problem. Stick to the original characters and change the names slightly or try to create my own? I have a rough idea of the plotline and how it's gonna go but creating memorable characters is easier said than done. Yes I did it for NR but this is kinda different. 

I'm trying to combine HG with pirates. It's in my create page unpublished right now and I need some advice. (SO DON'T STEAL MY IDEA!!) I love the original characters (although Katniss irritates me sometimes) and their developments but I want to do something no one's ever done before.

I hate it when this happens. Like all good story ideas be it mine or ideas in general, they all follow the similar pattern.

1. IDEA (LIGHTBULB)

2. Must write down before I forget!

3. Publish 1 or more chapters and begin to plan the next one's

4. BAM! Writer's block wall, no motivation

5. story gets forgotten under sea of ideas and other stories.

Think about it.  NGU, GONE! Nevermore: Never seen again, Sherlock fanfics: what fanfics?, even my latest pirate idea is barely off the ground and it's sank under the dreaded writer's block!!

NR is barely floating above the surface and it doesn't exactly help when five people say they've read your story and have no idea what's going on!
Seriously? Doesn't help my motivation/self esteem people. But still, I wanna know how to fix it, saying it's confusing is understandable but when you don't say how, it really ticks me off. I WANNA IMPROVE!! Or at least attempt to.

But all of this comes to one simple explanation.

WRITER'S BLOCK SUCKS!!!