Part Ten

PART TEN

Anya sat in the doctor’s office, her hand clutched tightly in Cohen’s. It was almost like the news was going to be about their child, even though they technically had no biological relation to Lily. Her free hand was tapping on her knee as Dr. Jamison watched them thoughtfully.

            “Well?” Cohen asked after another minute, where the doctor was examining a manila folder in front of him. “Did it work? Or did you guys fuck up-”

            “Cohen,” she interrupted disapprovingly. “Don’t be rude and let Dr. Jamison do his damn job!”

            “Thank you, Miss Young. I applaud you for your patience; you have done a lot to get to this point in time.”

            You’ve got no idea, Doc.

“Hurry up Anya, before they start the Communion! We’re doomed if we’re not out of the house before they do- they’ll be calling out our names soon for role call!” Cohen cried impatiently. Anya ignored him and pulled the pretty blue dress over Lily’s head. It was almost the exact shade of her eyes.

            She had taken special care with dressing the young girl, knowing that this was the first time she’d been out in a very long time. Lily would want to look her best, so Anya put more effort in than was required.

            “I’m almost done,” she told him when he started poking her. Giving Lily her jacket, since it was technically winter inAustraliaat that very moment, she turned to Cohen and smiled. “Okay, let’s go!”

            He scooped the little girl into his arms while Anya checked that the coast was clear. She could see the front door around ten meters away from her.

            It almost seemed too easy.

            They snuck out of the house and carefully laid Lily down in the backseat of the car, wrapping a fluffy blanket around her so she didn’t get cold. Cohen then helped Anya into the passenger seat- which was, for some reason, on the left side- and started the engine.

            “To the beach, and then to the Woman’s and Children’s Hospital- right?” he checked.

            “Right, as long as we don’t get lost on the way.”

            Hopefully they wouldn’t.  

The Abrahams didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary until the loud roar of the Jeep’s engine echoed around the farm. Isla shot up and ran to the window to see their car speeding down the lane and out of sight. Her husband dropped the cup of wine we was preparing for their Sunday communion, a horrified look on his face.

            “They stole the car!” Mrs. Abraham yelled. “Oh, call the police Hamish! Don’t just stand there!”

            “Mum! Mum! Mum!” Finn Abraham cried and burst into the room. “Lily’s gone! She’s not in her room!”

            Isla’s face lost all of its color and she looked at her husband, who had his phone in his hand. “They’ve taken her.”

            “Who’s Lily?” Brandi, the girl with pink hair, asked with a bored expression on her face. Ahrielle and Samuel exchanged a look, both with shocked expressions on their faces.

            “Anya wouldn’t…” Samuel whispered to his female companion, too amazed to finish that sentence. “Would she?”  

            “Maybe she finally grew some balls!” Ahrielle replied, a little too loudly. The Abrahams rounded on them, looking more furious than an old lady who lost bingo.